New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota 76 Action?
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen,

What is the consensus here on the Dakota 76 action? Are there any other Win 70 type actions I should consider? I'm contemplating a custom 375 H&H built on one of these and fitted in a McMillan Supergrade or Echol's Legend stock. Barrel make & contour will be left up to the riflesmith.

What open sight make & model for this rifle as well as what make of scope mounts? Optics will probably be a matte Leupold in Vari-X III 1.75-6X32.

Thank you,

Htg Atty

Posts: 7 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I don't like the Dakota action. It's over-priced; I don't care for the ball-bearing detent-type bolt sleeve retention system, nor do I care for the bolt stop. I have also never yet met a riflemaker who did not think that this action was too soft.

I'll take a Model 70 action any day of the week......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Except for the overpriced bit, I've not found any problems with the 76 action. In fact, I like it quite a bit. Still, having said that, I too would prefer a Model 70 action provided it is the pre-64 version. There as some very, very good Model 70 actions being produced currently, but I have also seen some examples of really poor workmanship coming out as well. Provided the work is up to par, the currently produced Model 70 is probably superior to the pre-64 in design but I think I'd stick to the pre-64 version, at least for the time being.

I have not heard any complaints of the 76 action being too soft however, I do know that they are machined in their hardened state rather than being machined soft and hardened later. Still, I've heard of no lug setbacks or other indications of soft steel. Then again, I don't know too many custom makers that have used 76 actions.

Tom

Posts: 48 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question: What is the consensus here on the Dakota 76 action?

I would not hesitate to use a Dakota M76 action for a
nice custom gun.

Roland