New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding Ruger MKII Magnum Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a Ruger MKII Magnum Rifle in .375 H$H. A little refresher, this african styled rifle with barrel band front sight and the integral Quarter rib.
Anyway I took it apart last night and I am not familiar with the setup on thes rifles. The barrel has a shank machined into it nearly the full length of the stock. The stock screws into this rib, about where a normal stock would have a front sling stud. About 1" behind this screw is another screw that scews into a loose metal bar that goes back to the front action screw and loops over a ridge around this screw (front action screw) My questions are:
1. What is the purpose of this loose bar?
2. Should the barrel be bedded the full length of the bar that is machined into the barrel?
3. What amount of torque should these front screws be tightened to?
I will not be doing the bedding myself my gunsmith will but he is a benchrest builder and does not normally work on Rugers, especially the bigger bores that might have this unusual setup.
Thanks
Jason

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Ruger today. This loose metal part is called a "Recoil Plate" to disperse the recoil forces on the stock????? Anyone?????

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote