Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle stock question...shaping the ejection port
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
I would like to put an angle on the part of stock directly under the ejection port. Using files, what is the best way to achieve this so you get the angle constant the length of the cutout in the stock?

(I had the idea to make up a file that is the length of the ejection port cutout so you are putting a constant angle on the stock at the same time). However I would like other suggestions please.

Many thanks,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave wesbrook:
Michael,

Place a strip of blue painters tape on the side of the stock below the ejection port. The top of the tape should be approx 1/4" below and parallel to the bolt raceway in the action.The top of the tape marks the bottom of the ejection port cut.

Now,you might want to place several layers of tape on the bolt raceway inside of the action and any facing areas of metal that you might hit with the files.

Next,using a 3/16" chainsaw file cut a "U" shaped notch at each end of the ejection port going from the top of the stock down to the bolt raceway (perpendicular to the action).With the same file next cut an angle from the bottom of the"U" to the top of the tape angling in so that you leave a small ledge next to the bolt raceway. This will leave you a small triangle of wood to remove with flat files. Use the small ledge and the top of the tape to guide your cut.

Dave Wesbrook

Mr. Wesbrook, You sure made that a bunch easier than when I tried it!

Thanks.

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep the guys that have done it for a few years (didn't want to reference Dave" AGE) make it sound easy. Like everything else ease comes with practice.

Like Tom I hadn't thought of a tape line.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I cheatererer when I do it. I either do them in the mill with a 3/4 inch carbide end mill with 1/8th radius corners or I use heavy, aluminum Rolodex label tape as a guide and a chainsaw file for the corners and then draw file the flat. The aluminum tape is pretty tough crap. You need a pretty stiff drink to screw up using that stuff. I think a box of it costs about $30 and would last the average guy a lifetime. The stuff has some nasty ass glue on it after you peal off the backing. I clean it up with WD40.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the advice, and good to see that some of the others who posted here got the same great advice.

The stock that I wanted to do this for was a Basner Hitech Specialties, for my Remington 700 6.5 mm SAUM project rifle which of course is a fiberglass stock and not wood. So today I successfully completed the job, however I used a different technique to cut the correct angle. First I put a layer of insulation tape on the angled part of the receiver below the ejection port. Then I fitted the barrelled action into the stock.

After that, I wrapped a couple of layers of insulation tape about quarter of the way down from the top of my file and then used the top line of the receiver to rest the taped part of the file on (The tape protecting the receiver from being damaged by the file).

Then I just worked the file back and forth, slowly angling the stock material down and working my way the length of the ejection port and keeping the file in full contact with the top line of the receiver until the bottom of the file started cutting into the tape on the angled part of the receiver. When you hit the tape, the angle on the stock is consistent through its length and matches the angle of the receiver below the ejection port. The transition line between the stock and angle is also going to be nicely straight.

All that is left to do now is use my chainsaw file to radius the bottom corners.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are so many methods and treatments for the ejection port that a whole thread could be devoted that alone .....Gasp! forget I said that.

Don't be shy Duane, everyone here would be interested in hearing from the master himself.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
There are so many methods and treatments for the ejection port that a whole thread could be devoted that alone .....Gasp! forget I said that.

Even if your thread was only half as good as the "Making it feed" thread, Duane, you can count me in!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote