New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporterizing K-31 Swiss
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone sporterized a K-31? I am getting one for my collection and thinking about getting another to 'smith into a hunting rifle.

Pictures?

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an artical with photos in the now defunt "Accurate Rifle" magazine a few years ago. A Mr Chandler, the same guy that wrote several books on snipers, had one built, and it was a beauty. Cost was over 7K as I remember. Ther is a Swiss Rifles website with loys of entrys on sporterized K-31's also. Those rifles are great shooters.

Posts: 88 | Location: Riverbank CA | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe they'd play well in what I think of as a sporter - something with a scope, that is. The K-31 ejects pretty much straight up, it appears from photos.
sff

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the top eject is the biggest problem, boyds does make sporter stocks, also the saftey isn't what I would pick for a hunting rifle. my suggestion get a saint marie clamp on scope mount, and shoot it as is, the trigger should already be great, I have 2 that will shoot sub MOA, with nothing done to them, in militay configuration with scope mount. Try that with any other 60+ yr old warhorse

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
the top eject is the biggest problem, boyds does make sporter stocks, also the saftey isn't what I would pick for a hunting rifle. my suggestion get a saint marie clamp on scope mount, and shoot it as is, the trigger should already be great, I have 2 that will shoot sub MOA, with nothing done to them, in militay configuration with scope mount. Try that with any other 60+ yr old warhorse

No big deal, got a VZ-24 that is sub 1/2 moa

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
I don't believe they'd play well in what I think of as a sporter - something with a scope, that is. The K-31 ejects pretty much straight up, it appears from photos.
sff
Jaywalker

I can't help much in terms of photos etc, but we do see a ton of sporterized Swiss army rifles here in Switzerland (hardly surprising).

The scope mount is not a problem, and there do not seem to be any issues regarding ejection either. The typical mount we see here, is a side mount, positioned on the right side of the receiver (somewhat surprisingly), left side mounted scopes are also seen. These guns can be amazingly accurate. Our very own "Collani" shoots one of these rifles, and very effectively, I may add.

Maybe Collani will spot this post, in which case he will probably reply. These days, he does not have as much time for posting on the Internet, though. If he has not replied in a few days, I may try to nudge him...

- mike

P.S. I went looking for Collani's website, and lo and behold, he has a bunch of stuff on sporterized K31s... Check THIS out. All this not to steal Collani's thunder, I'm sure he will join us and contribute from his vast experience. But until such time, we can enjoy all the information he has already posted on the Web...

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swiss Rifles Website

There's tons of general info on the K-31 as well as many other Swiss rifles - as you'd expect. Check the links to other pages as well.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
mho,
In the pics I've seen of the K31 sniper variant it looks like the action is in the stock at a couple of degree off vertical (rotated clockwise around the barrel).
Is this true or is it an optical illusion in the photos? click here for pics

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, you are correct the receiver is rotated and the cases do not eject straight up. IIRC, even though they are quite similar, only two pieces are interchangeable between the 20 something pounds of the K-55/31 and the 9 pounds of the regular K-31. Best-o-Luck

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
20 LBs! Eeker What did they do, pack the stock with depleted Uranium? I'm glad I don't have to hump that thing around.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:

No big deal, got a VZ-24 that is sub 1/2 moa

lets put a rack of milsurp rifles you pick one out of 50 one vz 24 and one k31, I would bet on average the k31 would be twice as accurate as a VZ 24. remember milsurp config only, I have never seen a vz 24 that didn't have a sewer pipe bore, I think the k31 will even shoot better than the touted swedish mauser.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
lets put a rack of milsurp rifles you pick one out of 50 one vz 24 and one k31, I would bet on average the k31 would be twice as accurate as a VZ 24. remember milsurp config only,

I wouldn't be surprised. I shot one at the range last Fall, and it was great. Nice trigger, and even with the open sights, I shot way better than I expected to be able to.

There's a gunsmith who specializes in replacing the barrel (horrors!) with one in .308, but I've unfortunately misplaced the link.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody got an extra $500 or so? Try contacting larry racine @ lprgunsmith.com/ A 308 or a 6.5 might be as good a choice as the original 7.5 Best-o-Luck

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is pretty much stock, except for the refinished stock and installation of a scope using the rear sight mount. With a scope in this position, the EER pistol scopes work well and don't get in the way of ejected cases. I'm shooting 46.0 WW748 and a 168 Sierra MK in a Norma case and getting groups at or near an inch using a 2X Leupold EER optics.

If you want to talk K-31 rifles, here's the place to go:

http://p090.ezboard.com/fcollectorguns35625frm1

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote