Joe Smithson Rifle Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tommyhawk
Posted 29 June 2009 01:35 Hide Post

Here is a pic of that rear sight. It is 11 1/2" out the barrel and 27" from the buttplate. I did some fine serrations and browned it before installation. This is the only rifle I've installed one of these on. This is a specialty application and works great for my 'old eyes'.

I like that, you did a nice job! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
The Gibbs-1903 looks a little out of place next to it's American counterparts but I kind of like the the work they did on the rifle, short forearm and all.

I do'nt know, I like this forend better, it looks more dynamic, IMO....

But the rear sigth is still out of place... Smiler

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 Shot,
I opened the original aperture slightly to create more of a 'ghost ring' effect. It is .150". The aperture came stepped. Meaning that it is larger towards the muzzle (.175"). A good design to get a crisp circle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bent, I agree but would point out that the rifle in question is a German counterpart Wink.

That rifle was made circa 1932 by August Heym in Suhl, Germany. The Heym fits me like it was made for me and there is a Lyman 48 in the trapdoor but with a filler in the sight base.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was taught the 1/2 the barrel length minus 1" and made a few stocks like that but, no more.
On sporters that is simply tooo much wood and at some point it will over power the barrel and cause accuracy problems. That's one of the reasons everyone free floats their barrels. It's a bad 'rule'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
The Brits knew a lot more about where to place an express sight than we do. And they usually put them well forward. Remember that you have to try to focus in three planes, target, front sight, rear sight. Your eyes can only focus on one at a time, and the closer together the sights are the quicker you can aim. Of course this could be carried to an absurdity by putting the express sight an inch behind the front sight .....

Right on. My 67 year old eyes need the rear sight quite far forward. I can use a ghost ring that is closer because I don't have to focus on it, but "V" sights need to be about half way down the barrel to be at all useful.

The stock wood on the rifle that started the thread is awesome.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rules! We don't need any rules. Both rifles and information on the maker will be in an upcoming issue of PS.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Smithson rifle at the beginning of the post is a beautifully put together rifle. Congrats to the owner. MMP

one of us
posted Hide Post
A problem with cocking piece sights like the Lyman 103 or the Parker Hale on Tiggertate's .375 is that they can put your eye out if you crawl the stock too much in prone or sitting position or are shooting uphill. Also the LOP makes a difference.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Only if I flip it to full auto clap

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talking about peep sights. Another option on Joe Smithson rifles is a machined peep sight that slides into the rear scope base on his QR scope mount. He had one at SCI this past year, and I believe the removable peep sight was secreted under the pistol grip cover. Gave options of fixed, peep. or scope sighting system on same rifle. Was a beautiful metal to metal machine fit.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote