New
Find
Notify
Tools

simple bedding question
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I want to re-stock my remington sendero and have it glass bedded. In the future (or maybe now) I want to rebarrel it with a heavy match barrel. If I send it off to a smith to be bedded in a McMillan A5 will it need to be re'bedded when I have it re-barreled. I've never had a rifle bedded so this may sound like a dumb question. I have been under the impression that only the action is bedded, not the barrel since it's free floated. I just want to know if I should have it all done at once (rebarrel+bed)--I'd like to ideally first shoot out the barrel thats on it now.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
MOA,

Rebarreling doesn't change the receiver dimensions any so the answer to your question is maybe. The only possible trouble you will encounter with rebarreling the Remington 700 is the posibility that the recoil lug has shifted from where it was when it was originally bedded. If the gunsmith who performs the job marks the lugs position correctly and reindexes to this mark, you should be fine. It isn't much of a problem to re-bed for this possible occurance so I wouldn't be too concerned...

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
There are many different techniques and opinions to bedding a rifle and barrel. even if I plan on a free-floated barrel, I still bed about 2" foward of the recoil lug. You could go ahead and have the rifle bedded now and when you have it rebarreled you could just redo the area in front of the recoil lug.

after a good bedding job you not feel the need for another barrel [Wink]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I changed the barrel on a Rwemington then I would rebed the whole thing...it is just as easy to rebed the whole thing as part of it and you will get a better job of bedding that way...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote