Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman #36
 Login/Join

posted
hello all: I recently acquired what I thought was a Lyman #36 bolt sight for a Mannlicher Schoenauer, model 1950.
However it appears to NOT be a Lyman, as it does not have the stag or the Lyman name on it. It is very well made and blueing matches my .257 Roberts great.
Does anyone know the possible maker of this replica? What I really need is a method of mounting it onto the bolt release. It appears to be held on the rear by the bolt release pivot pin. The front should attach via a screw, to capture it to the bolt release. I will have to do some minor stock inletting to make it clear the wood.
This sight will give me a quicker FS acquisition and have a longer sighting radius.
Thank you in advance.

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some pictures would help.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My memory is toast, but I keep thinking that Jim Wisner used to make a high quality replica.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

As you can see...it mounts over the bolt release. My problem is the screw holding the bolt release is a recessed screw. (last photo) I can only imagine there is a similar screw, only with a threaded stud on the end to secure the sight to it.
Ideas?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two screws that have to be changed in order to mount the # 36 peep on the factory bolt stop.

The boltstop pivot screw is longer to go thru the bolt stop and thread into the Lyman base.

The boltstop strain screw is differnet as you found out to come back out and into the front of the Lyman base.

I checked and have one of the strain screws and several of the pivot screws left over.

If the rear aperture has no provision for the smaller instert then the sight is one of mine, but many of the Lyman # 36's were never stamped with any Lyman markings.

Drop me a PM if you want those screws.

James Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Thank you.