THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you keep your files from rusting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm beginning to have a substantial amount of cash invested in files for metalwork. They do have a tendency to develop surface rust though. I'm hesitant to spray or dip them in any kind of oil for fear they'll clog up and not cut as well.I do card them religiously when in use, but I could use a hint on the best way to store them to extend their useful life.Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After carding I just take a toothbrush and give it a light coating of RIG.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of lube is RIG?

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob, My old time machinist/toolmaker/gagemaker
mentors would have killed on the spot any one who oiled a file ,or for that matter picked one up by anything but the shank end,with or without handle. Amongst them such cleansing of the gene pool would not be a capital offense. The mere touching of the teeth would apply body oils to the teeth and make them cut erratically and leave scratches. ( the sermon was usually 15 minutes long) Use carpenters chalk after cleaning, blue or white makes no nevermind. The chalk will absorb the oils the file picks up. There is a little pick that comes with the carding brush. Use that and if it fails to dislodge imbeds take a piece of square stock and use it, pushing parallel with the teeth. On double cuts you have to go both ways. You can immerse the files in a bluing pre cleaner or the immersion solution itself to get all traces of the oil out. Then rub the chalk into the teeth until full. You simply tap the file on something hard to llosen and shake the excess chalk from the teeth. You will find that the files cut smoother and don't load up so soon. Use the chalk while filing, too. The chips will dislodge more chalk in usage, and will need replenishing. Even #8 swiss cut files will retain enough chalk to work. Brown wrapping paper made into a holster will keep the moisture from that part of tooth not covered by chalk. ( when file is in storage). To test the ancient wisdom take a cleaned, new or nearly new file and scatter a few drops of oil on one side, chalk the other. Try. The oil can be removed with the chalk
if you aren't a stockholder in an oil company and used a lot to brighten up the sales picture for a higher dividend. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RR--

I wish I had your problem. Rust sharpens files somewhat.

I agree with Tom. I have an ammo can three quarters full of lime for annealing small parts and for dipping files into to keep them grease free. I also regularly clean with brake clean when the files are used around oils.

A little diluted rust blue solution does wonders overnight for a dull file. [Smile]

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
RR,

An old refrigerator is one of the best things for keeping tools from rusting. If your shop is in your garage or such put an old/dead fridge in there and use it to store all the items you want to keep away from moisture, not only files. If you live somewhere really rainy put a small (20-40W) light bulb in there, maybe even use the original socket and just bypass the door switch. Works great to store welding rods in too.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIG is a rust inhibiting grease made for guns . It has been around for many years and I have used it for knives guns and tools. If you don't like to use that you could wrap the files in rust inhibiting paper.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Do you guys really have a problem with rust on your files?? I've got files in my toolbox that are over 20 years old, and I've never put a speck of oil, chalk, or anything else on them, not even once. Since I live now in Central Oregon where the climate tends to be pretty dry, it wouldn't seem that unusual I guess, but the majority of my life has been spent in Western Oregon, about 45 min. from the coast. After seeing the heading on this topic, I just had to rummage through my Kennedy to see if I was just not being attentative enough. Nope, there's no rust, nothing. That goes for round files, triangular, bastard, fine, and rasps. Sounds like the biggest problem that you've got is bad climate control, but even then [Confused]

All I can say is, if you're files are getting rusty, you'd better start looking at things like combination squares, mics, calipers, and other important things that are stored in the same area before it's too late to fix'm.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
I agree, It has got to be a climate thing because I too went through my file of files and outside of finding a couple I forgot I had, which were exhibiting a little discoloration from being ignored for 30+ years, I found no signs of rust or wear except for a few nicks here and there from being flung across the shop in a moment of disgust, but other than that they look great. Of course I use my files regularly and do use chalk on them frequently.

Based on my experience I would have to say that a good way to keep your files from rusting would be to keep them dry, and to use them frequently.

Malm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm, when your 15 year old takes one out to the drive way to reshape some piece of wood and then leaves it out in the rain they rust, even in my dry climate. Unfortunately we had one of very rare rains while it had been out basking in the sun. He brought it in the other day with his head hanging low. He has been "restoring" it for me.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Chic,

My 15 year old did that to his step dads files... [Big Grin]

<eldeguello>
posted
After carding, I spray them with Birchwood Casey Sheath. Thi stuff kept my regular blued guns rust-free and clean in Alaska for three years!

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
When I read the title of this thread "Chalk" popped into my head without even a pause for a memory search. I attribute that alacrity of recall to Mr. Calley my elementary school shop teacher, and my Grandfather. I heard the lecture from both of them.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If all you gunsmitts would stay out of the coffee shops and off the internet those files wouldn't have time to rust!! and your customers would quit calling you up and whining so much [Razz]

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can put your files in a box with some silica packets or you can also coat them with some Kroil and then laquor thinner to completely clean them before use. I am in the tool and die trade and we use nothing on them as we usually use them so much that they never get rusted.

Posts: 123 | Location: grand rapids | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Recoil Rob, RIG is RUST INHIBITING GREASE!! Honest! It looks kinda like Cosmoline, but it stays soft forever, so it is easy to remove from your stored guns, even 20 years later. It DOES prevent rust!! [Big Grin]