Find
Notify
Tools

can you silver solder the bolt handle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
I am loving my M70 in .404jeffery but the other day I noticed a bit of play in my bolt handle. It seems the sleeve that the handle is atttached to is press fit on the bolt in a sort key-way arrangement. Can I silver solder this sleeve back onto the bolt?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i wouldn't...

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder what kind of response you would have got if it was a remington

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fredj338,

By the way did you rent the reamer and headspace gauges or did you by them, or GS have them. I'm building a 404 on mdl 70 like yours.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Gringo, my GS bought the reamers. My buddy is also having him build a .404 on a BBK02 action, so he could justify the cost. Keep me posted on how yours turns out. The more I shoot mine (about 80rds now) the more I like my big varmint rifle.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Wonder what kind of response you would have got if it was a remington

Remington in 404?

I wouldn't have answered!!!!

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fredj338,

My gunsmith rents the odd reamers but 404 wasnt on any of his lists. He wanted to buy the reamer and gauges, but I wouldn't let him, I doubt if he would have built enough to justify. I'm having it long chambered at Pac-Nor. I'll buy a go gauge, he said he can shim it for no-go.

Got a blank comming, hope its not to skinny for the 404.

Will keep you posted, heck I'm so excited I'll probably tell the whole world.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I went PacNor #5 on mine. At 23" it seems right for me (I'm 5'-10" w/ 33" sleeve). W/O the scope it weighs in @ a tidy 9.2#, just about right. It's a little heavy @ 10.2# w/ the scope but it's nice to shoot, recoil is very managable w/ 400gr bullets @ 2200fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never silver solder a bolt handle is good advise I think..it should be tig welded IMO...I have seen more than a couple of silver soldered bolt handles come off, like on Remingtons for instance..Be it the person soldering or not is a legit question but I will just have mine tigged and let someone else play with the solder...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out HD Rifle Celt pins on the bolts of the Rem 700. Very nice work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course you can silver solder it back on since that is how it was supposed to be secured in the first place! The new M70 handle is sleeved onto a knurled protrusion at the end of the bolt. An acceptable system providing the silver solder joint is good. Obviously in your case it isn't.
As long as the joint is well done the Remington systen is just fine too. In those cases where the handle comes loose (in both brands)the fault lies with a poorly soldered joint.
I have pinned and silver soldered handles on mausers as well (so did BRNO on some of their rifles) and the joint is nearly invisible and apparently more than strong enough. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Right on, Bill.

And, of course, the bolt handles on Stolle Panda/Teddy BR rifles are silver-soldered on as well. Back in the days when they had a 4-piece (!!!) handle, often not all the Stolle solder joints were well done, so the bolt handles had a rude habit of coming off in the first dozen shots or so. However, that was because the joints often had much less than 50% coverage with solder. (Whaddya expect for an action that is only $900 U.S.? <G>Wink

Once we solder them back on with a full contact layer of silver solder on clean metal, they stay on pretty much forever plus a week.

I also had a bolt handle come off my Remington 700 in 1962. I re-soldered it, and it is still working just fine today.

One should be careful to use a heat stop coating and a heat sink when doing it, of course.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also silver soldered bolt handles: BAT, AMT, Hall..... Not soldered: Nesika, Geske..... Any more to add?

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'll get it fixed this weekend & then back to practicing!