THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Some questions on a Polish Mauser PFK Warzawa 1926 K98! Please help with some infos!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some questions on a Polish Mauser PFK Warzawa 1926 K98! Please help with some infos!
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

i picked up a Polish Mauser lately! It was pretty cheap! The barrel is original but a bit rough! But the rifle shoots good! 3 shoots at one inch at 100m!
On the crest is written PFK Warzawa 1926! Chambered in 8x57IS It is original except for the hunting stock! I would like to use the rifle for hunting!
I read that it is a small ring/large thread/action mauser system! It has the normal mauser bolt with the three lugs! 2 locking lugs and one safety lug!

My questions are how is the quality of these mauser actions und is it worth customising it a bit?
I would like to have barrel cut a bit and oil the stock and mount a Timney trigger!

Thanks so far!

Greetings from Germany

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
David,

Wilkommen.

The Polish small ring 98 of that era is the best of the small ring large thread receivers.

On the whole, not as robust as either the small ring small thread or large ring large thread receivers but much better than the earlier small ring large thread models like the Kar a.

If it shoots good, then by all means cut and re-crown the barrel and add a trigger.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it shoots good, then by all means cut and re-crown the barrel and add a trigger.

If it shoots decently, that is probably all the effort I would put into one, plus a stock refinish and thinning to get rid of the clubbiness.

Maybe a new bolt handle and a peep sight/front sight if it happens to shoot really well.

posted Hide Post
So this rifle is not unsafe in 8x57is like i read on this forum?

posted Hide Post
Nobody...

i am a bit confused because i read that the polish rifles have the small ring/large thread actions! So therefor the action material is rather thin!
On the other hand i learned that the Polish used the best steel!

How is the qualitiy of these rifles !

Thanks David

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The steel has nothing to do with it and is not apprecibly different than its predecessors. The difference lies in the machining.

I believe my first post sums it up. They are better than the German made variants but not as good as a standard large ring action or small ring, small thread 98.

Longevity depends a lot on the loads used and how many rounds will be fired. Is this to be a rifle used primarily for hunting once or twice a year with a couple of trips to the range or a hard working rifle that may be fired a great deal?

If the former, it should suffice, if the latter, I'd personally find a standard 98 or commercial Brno action.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote