New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floating reamer holders.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, here we go again. I recently got a new floating reamer holder; I think it is called the "Bald Eagle" and, if I am correct, touted and designed by Jim Borden. Jim, if I am not correct please offer a rebuttal and accept my apologies. I was using it today to chamber a barrel in 280 Ackley Improved. While cutting, according to the instructions by the way, I had my index finger, left hand, on the reamer and noticed it "jumped" a bit when I put pressure on it from the tailstock. It was kind of a torque twist and as the reamer holder was designed, floats with the bore and pilot. I can't help but think, with the torque, it was cutting oversize so I stopped and went back to my old holder. It just did not seem to me it was going to do a good job. Any comments guys?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Personaly I do not like floating reamer holders at all. Nothing can beat good dial indicators & being DEAD CENTER/TRUE to start with.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe.

I have not used that holder, still have an old one that Clymer made 20 some years ago.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
As far as I know that holder, as well as any others I have seen, cuts to center when under load. It will compensate for some angular misalignment only and will not compensate for eccentricity. This is true of all to my knowledge. On the bright side, since it moves to center under load it shouldn't cut oversize as long as the setup is true. The one problem with all of these holders is that the holder's center may not co-incide with the tailstock center. Now you have the potential for an oversized chamber. I have worked all day making a pretty nice holder and in the end it worked every bit as good as a tap wrench and center! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill and others:

This one does not "cut to center". It starts out at center, but when put under load, torques up. This is what I am feeling with the finger pressure. I went back to my old Clymer also.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Jim Borden>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Well, here we go again. I recently got a new floating reamer holder; I think it is called the "Bald Eagle" and, if I am correct, touted and designed by Jim Borden. Jim, if I am not correct please offer a rebuttal and accept my apologies. I was using it today to chamber a barrel in 280 Ackley Improved. While cutting, according to the instructions by the way, I had my index finger, left hand, on the reamer and noticed it "jumped" a bit when I put pressure on it from the tailstock. It was kind of a torque twist and as the reamer holder was designed, floats with the bore and pilot. I can't help but think, with the torque, it was cutting oversize so I stopped and went back to my old holder. It just did not seem to me it was going to do a good job. Any comments guys?

Jim

They work great. They are made to follow the bore and guys when you say you line up dead true--I guess you are ignoring the wandering of the bore. Key items for use of a good floating reamer holder are: 1) bushing needs to fit mandrel snug; 2) bushing needs to fit bore snug.

I have chambered a couple of thousand barrels using one of these holders. I have done for many customers using their reamer and they can not get their cases from other barrels chambered using another method with the same reamer into my chambers......so who's chambers are oversize?

When I am done with a chamber-the reamer fits chamber snug nad has to be twisted out of the chamber. Most of my hunting rifles and of course benchrest rifles can interchange brass between rifles WITHOUT resizing.

Other floating holders mentioned here do not cut concentric and at size chambers as they do not universally float. A flat plate agianst a flat plate can not float without binding.

Jim Borden

[ 06-17-2003, 23:41: Message edited by: Jim Borden ]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Jim can you post a photo of your holder? As you said a flat plate against another flat plate doesn't float. I would like to see your design.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
FWIW: I found this post on Mark Stratton's www.gunmaker.net site, on the JGS floating reamer holder. Click on the "ACGG Gunmaker" link and then click on the JGS link toward the bottom of the page. Interesting read...another voice.

Jeff Pfeifer

[ 06-18-2003, 23:12: Message edited by: Pfeifer ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some folks like them, others do not...I don't need one...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to have a lathe and do barrel work to have any use or need for them. They can be a great benefit.

[ 06-20-2003, 01:45: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I said I have never seen a holder which would compensate for an eccentric bore or a misaligned tailstock. All cut to center under load whether they utilize pins, splines, cv joints, ball bearings or whatever. The problem is, the center they move to may not coincide with that of the machine. If the floating holder is set up so it's center is in alignment with the bore then it ability to float in an angular cycle will allow it to follow a wandering bore. If the bore wanders significantly a chamber that is very slightly out of round at the rear will result.
One guy told me of a German made holder which would float radially and which cost about 1200 dollars. I figure for 1200 dollars it had better be able to brew coffee too! I have not seen the holder and can't confirm that it will or will not function as claimed.
It sounds like Jim Kobe's holder was made so that it's center did not co-incide with that of the tailstock barrel. His normal setup technique was likely good enough to make the use of a floating holder unnecessary and I don't know why he bought one! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
You have to have a lathe and do barrel work to have any use or need for them. They can be a great benefit.

What can be a great benefit? A lathe for chambering or is that something you must have to chamber and the reamer is a great benefit?

How many people posting their opinions here actually have the necessary equipment and actually do the work?

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
Try this; www.gtrtooling.com It's quite informative.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whooee, Kinda makes you wonder after looking at all that neat stuff if having loaded up on each item and the peg board to hang it on that there'd be still enough room to get into the average shop. I mean,hell, its got to be on peg board out for show and tell, half the reason for having it, not so?. One thing to consider,though.
There ought to be 1 shop in every town big enough to support a few "smiths, that has all that stuff.
The mere sight of all them things would scare off a lot of wannabe do it to themselfers, and then there'd be just that much more work for we the impoverished. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need three barrels done; apparently none of the people here with their all-knowing opinions on things can even do the work they are offering advice on!!!

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
I need three barrels done; apparently none of the people here with their all-knowing opinions on things can even do the work they are offering advice on!!!

?? Have you asked gunsmiths in the forum to do work for you? And they can't do it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:

Perhaps they don't care for your attitude??? I wouldn't touch one of your barrels with the attitude you've displayed thus far. You give the impression that you'd be more of a pain than the job is worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zach:
[QUOTE]Perhaps they don't care for your attitude??? I wouldn't touch one of your barrels with the attitude you've displayed thus far. You give the impression that you'd be more of a pain than the job is worth.

[Confused] [Confused]

Thanks for the input Mr. First Time Poster. [Roll Eyes]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Howard, I know that Jim K, Doug Hambarger, Jim Wisner, Bill Leeper, Jim Borden and Tom Burgess could do it with their eyes closed, no matter what method was used.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first chambering job was supervised by a Marine Corps match armorer on a government lathe. I remember worrying because he didn't use a floating reamer. My reamer and Shilen barrel were at stake.

He pointed out that as good as our lathe was the tailstock quill was going to "float" some. He didn't view this as a positive thing just a fact.

Cautioned that slow feed and fast speed and lack of coolant were the factors leading to unsatisfactory chambers I preceeded carefully and cut a good chamber. 0.030 in then out. Clean reamer and chamber then in again.

How many fine rifles have gotten their start on old 9" or 10" lathes weighing a few hundred pounds and a three jaw chuck.

I suspect that groosly oversized chambers are the result of:

1. An oversize reamer

2. Something in the setup or technique that is holding (binding) reamer to one side or the other.

A reamer holder (as opposed to a floating holder) such as Greg Tannels is a convenience but he make no claim that it "floats axially.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote