Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser feed problem
 Login/Join

posted
I'm working on my first mauser project. I have a model 98 action from a CZ22 that was in 8x57. I have decided to build up a 243 with a Adams and Bennet barrel. I am trying to work out feed issues with the 243 rounds. The round seems to feed at a excessive angle and looks like it jams up at the chamber. It also does not seem to slide into the extractor correctly. I am reluctant to start grinding away until I understand what the issues are. Can anyone who has "been there done that" give me a clue on how to approach the problem. Thanks for the help!

Posts: 8 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah send it to an expert to make it feed right. The design of mauser feed rails and follower is such that they work better then anything when done/set up right but as such are very intolerent to any chages in case deminsions with out reconfigureing the follower and feed rails.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a 7.65x53 09/Argentine follower or 7 x 57 or 6.5x55, before you start grinding??
A little trial / error will fix you up!
Good luck

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've ended up with shorter followers and a spacer in the back of the box to get them to feed correctly

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I am now searching for a new short follower and material for a spacer. I also did a minor grind and polish to the extractor that made a world of difference. Thanks again for the help.

Posts: 8 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote