New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moisture meters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In another thread there was mention of a mositure meter to check the walnut blanks before one buys them.

Are they (the meters) expensive? What brands are available? Who stocks them? How are they used?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The moisture meter I have I got at a safety and supply store set up to cater to construction contractors. I can't recall the brand name but it operates with two prongs out the end of the meter with a digital gauge. Just set the prongs on the surface and touch the red button. Somehow it reads the moisture. I use it mainly to check moisture in concrete and floor surfaces before final coverings. Works on wood as well as other hard surfaces.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Decent moisture meters can be had for $100. If you want scientific accuracy expect to spend $300+.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=553270

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have one from Harbor Freight. It's cheap but at least it's something to go by.

I have about a dozen blanks of Myrtlewood(3) and various Walnut types. Some are 10 years old and some are 2-3 years old. When I got the "fresher" blanks they read about 10-12%. After about 18 months they leveled off. All of them are lower than 8% which is lower than the meter can read.

If you buy wet blanks get a meter and an accurate scale. Take reading on the flats and in the end grain with the meter and weight them and keep a record.

I found a very good scale for about $35.

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is the meters need to be calibrated for each different species of wood. Rich's leveling off method over time is a good way to determine where the wood will settle out to in your specific location. A lot will depend on how new your house is and how much moisture your house holds during the winter. Old house = popcorn fart dry, some new energy efficient houses = mold growing rain forest in the winter time.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Lignomat !. Two settings two lengths of pins and are plenty accurate enough for what your doing .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ...

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote