New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing paste wax before blueing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If paste wax is used as a bedding release agent, what is the best solvent to ensure it is completely removed before rust blueing?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use acetone or laquer thinner followed with very hot soapy water. I do it twice.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craigster!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I boil the parts in water with A&H Washing Soda. It's cheap; it's environmentally friendly and it works well.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Purple Power isw great stuff for degreasing before bluing.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
Purple Power isw great stuff for degreasing before bluing.

Degreasing, yes, but will it eat paste wax?

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Won't heating it with a flame melt it off.

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would first wipe it off with lots of tissue paper - say 5 or 6 times at least. Then a good spray of Meths should clean it up. Finally I would go for the boiling treatment with washing soda. That will emulsify any grease 100%.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
The mechanical action of a fine sandpaper polish job will start the process.

Do an online search for "wax removers"...there is a ton of stuff that will work, many environmentally friendly, which means they are emulsifiers more or less...THEN...a very hot water, detergent wash, followed by a hot water rinse will get all the oils out of the pores of the metal, heat up the barrel and help dry it out faster.

Brownells and Midway both have some interesting articles on how to prep a barrel for coating, and more information online at the sites offering different coating processes.

Some coaters us a hotwater clean and rinse with a metal etcher as a final action before dropping into the blueing tank.

Spray brake/parts cleaners with TCE do a very good job, but wear a mask...that stuff will waste your liver quicker than lousy booze.

Luck