New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee-Enfield barrel shank taper?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will need info on Lee-Enfield #4mk1 and #1mk3 barrel shank taper. Making barrel vise shims using compound rest and boring bar.

Thanks

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Help!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotec:
Page 48 of Gunsmith Kinks #4 if you have the book, has a couple of methods to remove barrels.
You can make bushings for a barrel vise by using ABS pipe. I use 1 7/8" O.D. pipe cut to 2" length which fits the bore of my barrel vise. I rough up the inside diameter of the pipe with emery paper. Set the barreled action vertical in a bench vise. Pack modelling clay around the receiver/barrel joint. Coat the barrel with release agent. Place the ABS pipe over the barrel and seat it on the modelling clay, making sure it is sealed. Pour Acraglas mixed with fiberglass flock into the ABS pipe. When the Acraglas hardens, tap the pipe towards the muzzel. It should pop loose easily. Now put the bushing in the bench vise and split it length wise. You may have to grind or cut extra off so the bushing pieces have a gap when you place them back on the barrel. You now have perfectly shaped bushings for removing your barrel. Sprinkle rosin on the inside and outside of the bushing pieces, put them on the barrel and place in your barrel vise and clamp. Rosin cleans off the barrel with rubbing alcohol. Hope this helps. Easier than machining a bushing and it won't scratch new bluing.
Regards,
Vernon

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, shortshot,

Will try that, I think I have some clay, if it's not dried out yet.