New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 10/22 barrel stuck
 Login/Join

Picture of outterbanks
posted
I have a Ruger 10/22 with the heavy hammered barrel by Ruger. I have removed the retaining block, but cannot remove the barrel. I have applied penetrating oil over night and it will not move. Any help would be great.

Posts: 13 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my 10/22s and remington 597 I have had the barrels be a little sticky at times. Never had one totally stuck. Usually just racking the bolt will lossen the barrel up. I always apply anti sieze to the barrel shank when I reassembly eliminates nearly all sticking.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try a hardwood dowel against the breachface of the barrel, tap it firmly with a hammer- I wrapped shim stock around the tenon of a 77/17 to tighten the fit, and had to do this to remove the barrel.

this is the first incidence I've read of a 10/22 barrel being too tight, usually they just fall out.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of outterbanks
posted Hide Post
I am going to try the hardwood dowel tonight. I have a wood vise to hold the receiver. I bought the gun used so I not sure if it may have gotten wet causing the barrel to seize.

Posts: 13 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Receiver on the 10-22's is Aluminum. For stuck barrels on them, I use a heat gun blowing hot air around the circumference of the receiver, where the barrel enters the receiver, and the barrels always slip right out.
I"m not sure if a hair dryer will do the job, but you might give it a try. It really doesn't take a lot of heating to expand the Aluminum. My heat gun puts out much hotter air than a hair dryer.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by outterbanks:
I am going to try the hardwood dowel tonight. I have a wood vise to hold the receiver. I bought the gun used so I not sure if it may have gotten wet causing the barrel to seize.

Whatever you do DON'T clamp the receiver in a vise. Clamp the barrel instead using appropriate wood blocks to grip the barrel. Warm the receiver like DMB suggested and then work the receiver off by either tapping it off with a wood block and hammer, or, with a back and forth twisting motion.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of outterbanks
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have a heat gun and leather grips for the vise to hold the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the dowel worked for me, but then, I used it on a bolt action where I could get to the barrel- cain't do that with a 10/22, my apologies.

Picture of outterbanks
posted Hide Post
The heat gun worked. The barrel looked like it had lock-tight on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Shilen Stainless bull barrel and a Majestics arms steel/Aluminum barrel on 10/22s.

The surprising thing was that the shanks must be turned down to fit them in the receivers.

Two good books:
Customize the Ruger 10/22 by James E. House
Rifleman's Guide To Rimfire Ammunition by Steven Boelter

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The surprising thing was that the shanks must be turned down to fit them in the receivers.

Well, that takes it right outta the "kitchen table" category...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They commonly use sandpaper and twist the barrel by hand to get the shanks down.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote