New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 7 barrel lug is crooked
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently rebedded my Model 7 after getting a new barrel and had a difficult time getting it out of the stock. Further inspection revealed that the barrel lug is not seated straight and caused it to bind in the bedding. I did not try to determine the angle of offset but it is enough to see with the naked eye in relation to the trigger as well as the headless action screws used in the bedding process. I have not shot it yet but am wondering if this would be a waste of ammo. My guess is that if everything is not straight and square harmonics will go into the toliet. Any comments on how critical this is? If it is does anyone know of a decent gunsmith within and hour or two of the San Francisco bay area?

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Shoot it before you mess with it.

The proof is in the pudding!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you did the bedding or the rebarelling but this may help. It should not make a difference accuray-wise if you relieve the front, bottom, and sides of the recoil lug so there is clearance there. Apparently the guy that did the rebarrel did not have a jig to align the lug when he put the barrel on and did it by eye.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jim. I wont get into who did the barrel because to be fair I have not contacted them yet. I did the bedding with JB and did tape off the front, sides and bottom. Also if it matters it is one of the thick Holland barrel lugs.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Holland lug was a wise decision. Correcting it would be rather quick, and one less thing to wonder about, but I doubt it would be a problem.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote