Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Weatherby And Barrel Length
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I am toying with the idea of building a .270 Weatherby. Would loose too much performance with a 24 inch barrel?

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep with a magnum case or even most other cases giving up a couple inches will cost you some velocity. QL calls it about 100fps for the 7Wby with a 130. I would think a muzzle velocity in the 32-3300fps should get it done for you.

So if you want a 24" go for it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I got a Win model 70 chambered for the 270 Weath mag with a 24' tube. I get 3340 ft/sec with 130 gr Hornadys and 3215 ft/sec with 150 gr hornadys. Not far from factory specs. Rifle handles real good with the 24" tube, and muzzel whip and recoil is very manageable.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built my 270 Weatherby on Model 70 Classic Stainless with a 26" barrel, I got 3500fps with factory 130gr Accubonds. My handloads are a little slower but not much.
I prefer to use 150gr Partitions in mine and get 3250fps.
I would definitely go with a 26" barrel, you lose too much velocity in a 24" tube. All my magnums run 26" tubes as a minimum, except my 375's and bigger cals that run 24" tubes.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say that it's not what you lose but what you gain that is the problem.

Yes with a 24" or 22" barrel you will lose velocity. But what you will gain will be additional muzzle flash and muzzle blast.

Not nice. I've never shot a 270 WM but I have shot enough standard 270 WIN to know that I don't enjoy it in rifles with barrels under 24"!

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 27" Lilja barrel onmy rifle. 3285 ft/sec with 150grainers is the norm.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I love barrel length discussions. They always come out the same. The velocity nuts love long barrels. The handling, stalking and carrying nuts like short barrels. In truth, how much velocity do you need? If you hunt long range 200 fps can be important. If that coastal brown that doesn't want you around is 35 yards away and the brush is thick a 20 inch barrel is real nice. I have found a 24 inch barrel will produce all the velocity I need with hand loads. As a rule of thumb, shorter barrels tend to be more accurate. I have a 7mm rem mag that has a 19 inch barrel, very accurate and I only give up about 200 fps. So far not one pronghorn, springbuck, gemsbuck, hartebeest, or blue wildebeast has complained.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote