Find
Notify
Tools

2 pre-64' questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1st -

Will a take-off barrel from a post 64 M70 Classic, fit onto a Pre-64?

2nd -

I found a killer deal on a McMillan Pre-64 stock from another AR member. But, his was a standard, mine is a magnum. Is there going to be a difference in fitment? He was not sure if the magazine from the mag would fit in the standard stock. If it doesn't drop in I'd really hate to have to start sanding and fitting a higher end stock like that.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Yes, my buddy and I do this all the time, I particularly like putting stainless Classic tubes on late '40s-early '50s actions....superb rifles when stocked with a Micky Edge.

2. Yes, the magazine mortise will need lengthening probably to fit a H&H length mag. box in to, but, this is not hard to do.

If, you buy a used Micky, as I have many times, any competent 'smith, like CasII can re-fit it to your rifle. We have even used Classic-inletted Mickys and Browns for P-64s with great success.

My latest used Micky is a Hill Country model I bought from an AR member here early this year and it was inletted for the Dakota 76. I just received the rifle, a .338WM, abck from Martini's today and it is simply awesome and makes me weak in my knees to hold and admire...and, I have a LOT of fine rifles to compare it to....my "CEO" says "too many".....bah, women, eh? Smiler

So, it is doable and a Micky on a P-64 is a "marriage made in heaven"...good luck!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well its a Win Mag box, not H&H, so I'm guessing it should work! Wicked, thanks for the help! Now to see if I can find a local smith who can do a barrel swap in a rush lol

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote