THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Value on 1920's-vintage Kreighoff custom bolt action?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value on 1920's-vintage Kreighoff custom bolt action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have been offered a 1920's vintage Kreighoff bolt action rifle in 7x57 built on a KAR98 Small-ring large-thread action. The rifle is lightly engraved and has extensive surface wear to the metal, but no rust or pits. The barrel is plain with the period-typical ramp front sight and two-leaf rear on a small island. The stock is the typical german sporter of the period with the side panels and schnabel tip, has been refinished, and has a chip out of the toe, but is otherwise in good condition. The rifle is not all original, but was drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The bolt handle has also been altered to clear a scope. I am trying to get a feel for what the rifle might be worth.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bore?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those about 2 years ago. It was a smallring Kreighoff M98 in 7X57. Mine had a "guild" style barrel with the full integral rib and contour going from round to octagon. Mine had a tang sight that was inletted into the stock. On the down side the stock had been "worked" on and needed replacing and the barrel had a notch cut in it right behind the muzzel for some reason noboby could figure out. You can also see in the picture another plug in the rib. I was sure a plug could be made for the barrel that would have been almost undetectable when re-blued and while the stock would need replacing I figured it would be worth the expense.

I have no idea what the gun was worth but I gave $700 for it. Unfortunately the rifle was sent USPS and was stolen in route so I never saw it in person. I had never seen a Kreighoff M98 before and haven't seen one since.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote