New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightning fast barrel jobs
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Well, I fell compelled to post positive feedback on pac-nor barrels. They have done some jobs for me in the past and have always delivered as soon or a bit sooner than they promised. Well, I got a call from Penny today: two actions I sent in JUST BARELY 3 WEEKS ago are already done and shipped! If that is not world record turnaround time for a barreling joint I don't what might be.

So, for all of those who are complaining about E.R. Shaw (which also has one of my actions), give pac-nor a try. The barrels I have already are very accurate, in fact my favorite 9.3x62 has a pac-nor barrel - an honest 5-shot MOA rifle with the 250 Nosler BT and 60 gr H414.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a class at Trinidad State Junior College this summer on octagon barrels and on customizing Mauser actions. I particularly wanted to work on a 9.3 barrel and in fact chamber it in your namesake. I called and Penny called me back the next day. I wanted a fairly heavy contour so I could make it a half octagon/half round. Of course I needed it fairly quickly and they got it to me in less than a week. I have seen that sign that says "The lack of advance planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." But they must not have, they went out of their way to make it on time for me. My hat is off to them.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PAC-NOR is great. I get them in a week sometimes as well. They stand behind their barrels, and are very helpfull. The selection is quite vast. I don't use anybody elses barrel unless the customer insists. My hat is off as well.

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have not had Pac work on any of my rifles, but I do like their barrels very much. I have one on my .280 that shoots very, very well. I have one being put on my M70 in .404jeffery & a .260ai on my M700 soon. I'm sold.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need soemone to answer my question on Pac-Nor. How is it one week delivery for you and six weeks for me?

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I need soemone to answer my question on Pac-Nor. How is it one week delivery for you and six weeks for me?

Jim

Are you nice to Penny? Secretaries run the world you know. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Delivery depends on a lot of things. Chris is getting caught up on some barrels, and is building stock. I use many odd contours, and often big bores that are not common, so it may take 4 to 6 weeks. I have obtained 30 cal. barrels in No. 2 or 3 contour in a week or two. Just received a 416 that had been ordered for about 3 weeks.

RE the fast barreling, Chris has a full time smith on board that barrels. Be nice to Penny, the smith is her husband!

Regardless, Pac Nor delivery sure beats Krieger!!! But, different barrels (cut vs button).

I have obtained LW barrels in 2 weeks, but the norm is 6 to 8.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Penny and all the staff are great. As a former employee of PAC-NOR, I know what the process is.
Just like most companys, the common /standard items can usually get out fast. The custom contour items take a bit longer, but not allways. Also, of you order a blank over 28" or over 1.20" dia, the blank is made to your order, not pulled out of the uncontoured blank stock. Another thing is that most outfits are a bit slow this time of year so things can be delivered faster than normal. The fast delivery probably won't be the same 6 months from now. But then that all depends on how nice you are to Penny!!
Tell her I sent you, that might help.

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jnrifleworks,
I've got a question for you if you worked at pac-nor.
A friend of mine, a gunmaker had a stainless pac-nor barrel split from the chamber foreward when test fireing the gun. He called pac-nor and asked who heat treated their barrel steel, they replied they did. He told them they missed one then as it Rockwelled out dead soft. pac-nor wanted the barrel to check, but that would mean sending the evidence away of course. Lucky for pac-nor my friend isnt the sueing type, but I would have thought they would have at least covered the thousand bucks in stitches and docters bills it took to close up his hand. I dont think they even sent him a replacement barrel!
Do they do their own heattreating? Why the cold shoulder after what happened?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When did it happen, what chambering, what contour, and what is your friends name. Did he order the barrel? You can e-mail me directly if you like. Thanks. I'll look into it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, Cayford spread the word far and wide that you are a butt-head. He said he owed it to you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll have to call Penney in the morning and apologize for whatever I said! They've had my old 700 .270 for a bit over 2 months for a rebarrel and GunKote. [Frown] Maybe send some candy? [Big Grin]
Actually, the last I heard was 3 weeks ago, they called to find out how much of the bolt to put the finish on. Should be on the way any time now.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ole_270
It's chocolate chip cookies that works.

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
First it was Kobe picking on me and now it's Worthing. Picking on the fat kid [Confused]

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim, Cayford spread the word far and wide that you are a butt-head. He said he owed it to you.
That Cayford fellow that you refer too Customsyntheticstox is a pretty cool dude though. For a minute I thought that you were referring to my dad though. Then I saw the comma. So then I saw you were referring to me.

The only thing I can accuse Kobe of is being hard on fishing equipment trying to Yank in those monster Halibut off the bottom of Anderson Bay.

[ 09-30-2003, 04:38: Message edited by: alvinmack ]

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote