New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel swap price
 Login/Join

<Ranger Dave>
posted
What would it cost to have a new barrel put on my Winchester M70 Ranger Push Feed chambered in 30-06?

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Or 270Win!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you already have the barrel Dave, or do you need that as well? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
No I don't have a barrel Dan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, if all you want to do is swap a factory barrel, you're looking at cost of the factory barrel (anywhere from $30 to $300 dollars) plus spinning off the old one, and installing and checking/adjusting headspace on the new one. I wouldn't expect labour to go much over $100-$125 for this. If you're looking at a custom barrel, figure $400-$700 for the operation, depending on whose barrel you use. The only gunsmith I know in Manitoba is R. Spagrud at Prairie Gun Works, I believe (I haven't been there for a while) and I'm not sure if he does this kind of thing (custom certainly, but as for the other, who knows). He does really nice work, though. Perhaps one of the other Manitoba posters could put you on to someone near you who can do this. Hope this helps. - Dan

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Thanks Dan. Are all M70 barrel's the same or is there a different barrel for CRF vs PF?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ranger Dave, there is a diff between push feed and CRF. I don't believe that Winchester will sell you a chambered barrel because of liability. You can however pick them up through Gun List usually for around $60. It will generally take more than just checking head space and more likely involve cutting a bit off the shoulder so you can screw it in another thread depth and then recutting the chamber. Figure $125 for that. The best new barrels (Krieger IMO) will set you back $300 US +/-. You may not to put that kind of effort into it. Pach Nor (Oregon) will install one of theirs for around $450 including the barrel.

You can also check with some BC smiths Chris Weber in Kalowna BC or Rolf Martini in Cranbrook BC. Fine people and excellent smiths.

Chic

[ 08-14-2002, 23:49: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic is right Dave. There are differances between push feed barrels and controlled feed barrels. Sometimes (depends on the cartridge) you can modify the CRF barrel for a PF action (I've done it), but you are probably better off sticking to one already set up for it. I haven't tried the BC smiths he mentions, but I have seen some of their work, and heard good things about both of them. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I just checked Kailuacustom guns
He has several M 70 barrels listed in his products - barrels, listing. I think one was a new take-off 30-06 for $45

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote