Find
Notify
Tools

sako scope mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted
I bought a really cool sako today, and am not familiar with the scope mounts. This is a left hand mannlicher stocked carbine with open sights and I would like a scope mount that detaches easily to use the sights if necessary. I'm including photos of the AV L61R.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several Sako rifles (more than 10) and have tried several different mounts, Warne makes Sako dovetail specific mounts that are excellent, my favorite. They are available for both a 1" or 30mm tube. Talley also makes bases and rings that will fit the Sako dovetail by means of a couple of allen set screw in each base. There are also rings by Sako and they have been available with new rifles frequently as a sales promo item, many dealers will have them available.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried most of them save the Conetrols. I much prefer the Sako Optilocks. They are coming out with a set that have Quick release levers. I would probably just use the regular set and tape a allen wrench inside my magazine box. The Talleys work OK but the bases don't quick detatch - the rings do. IMO you should avoid the Leupold ringmounts. The Millets are not to great either - I have a set I'd give you if you really wanted them.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, enjoy your rifle. My vote is for the Optilocks with the hex head screws. Less to snag on. djpaintles is giving you good advice about stashing the wrench on the top of the floor plate. Just use a bit of duct tape.
Sako used to make a peep sight that fits on the back receiver dovetail. Pretty bomb proof, and with a twist of your fingers it goes from 100m to 200m range.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use warne factory rings do not give enough eye relief

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't beat the Leupold "Sako ring mounts"

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have a set of those peeps for sale.
Let me know if you are interested.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You can't beat the Leupold "Sako ring mounts"

Well, yes and no... :-(

I love'em for my .222 (simple clean and reliable), but they are not strong enough for my light .375 H&H.

On a rifle with lots of recoil, recoil causes the Leupold ringmounts to spread and subsequently fail due to the wedging effect of the dovetail because they have no recoil lug.

I have seen the Leupolds modified by drilling the lower ring and inserting a honkin' big screw into the (drilled and tapped) reciver), but as they come I wouldn't use them on anything more powerful than perhaps a .300 Mag or so... a light scope helps reduce this wedging of course.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For your purposes the Leupold ringmounts would probably work the best. Some people have complained about them, but I have had no trouble with four sets, one of them on a .375H&H. Incedentally, I have a Sako Mannilicher in .30-06 that is virtually identical to your and have a 2-7 Leupold mounted in the Leupold ringmounts -- a very nifty setup. The Redfield/Burris is a good mount, but is not readily detachable. I also have three sets of Millett and have had nothing but satisfaction with them. The original Sako mount that is contemporary with your rifle MIGHT not provide sufficient eye relief if you use a variable with one of those oversized power adjustment rings.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is an older post but I was hoping for some insight. I have an AV Mannlicher in 270 with open sights. I would like a quick detach setup of this gun. Any other suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
GiesJ, for a quick detach setup, you can't beat the Talleys IMO. The have a set with levers, or a torx screw style. I have a couple of SAKO's set up with the Talley bases, and 2 different scopes in QD rings, and they work like a charm.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Giles, I'd like to see someone try one of the new sets of Optilocks with Quick release levers. If any of my Sako's had iron sites they would be what I would use...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fish - I talked to Talley today and they said the qd rings need a 1/4" base. I'm tryin to determine if this .25" will get in the way of the open sights. I'm trying to eyeball it but I may just have to order them and see.
I think this will be a great timber gun for elk/moose. But being in 270 I would love to have either a 1.5-5 or fixed 6 power to throw on there for a long poke. Barrel is only 18.5" and handles like a dream.