THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt-action with small diameter thread shank?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any centerfire bolt-action rifle that has smaller diameter in the threaded barrel shank area?

Reason I ask is that I would like to put life in old barrels---Say I have a Parker-Hale rifle now, it has regular Mauser 1.100" barrel shank. Once sticking out the receiver it dropps to .955", then a straight taper to muzzle at .910". The throat of this rifle is very worn but not any frosting. With a 26" barrel I can set the barrel back as much as 7" and still get a decent barrel of legal length---IF there's any rifle that would accept barrel shank that small.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek,
The problem lies in the length of the barrel shank. If you have to take off an inch or so you will have very little meat around the chamber.

think of the cost of having a rifle rebarreled and the value of that used barrel in the overall cost. If it does not turn out and the Parker Hales did not use the best barrels to begin with, you will be out all the gunsmithing costs on something that should be in the scrap heap to begin with.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Marc>
posted
One rifle that has a small shank is the Mossberg 800 series. They have a .875" shank. The Winchester Model 94 Big Bore actions also use a .875" shank and the barrel shoulder measures .930" on mine. So it seems that .955" might be adequate. The Mossbergs were chambered in the .308 sized cartridges. They also use the Remington style washer recoil lug. I am sure the purists here would throw rocks at the Mossberg but it would probably work for what you want to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies,

Will look for info on Mossberg 800 series.

A search in the Frank de Haas book turned out some results.

In the shank drawing section I found the Sako L46 uses shank size of .855, does this apply to L461 and A1?

Another such action is Weatherby Mark V "Varmintmaster", which is not introduced in the book and I have never heard of it. What is a Weatherby Mark V Varmintmaster or the equilavent of it?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote