New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to have a left handed action rebarreled. Never having done this and not having a local gunsmith who can get the job done. Who would you recommend. Mark

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mark i'm right across the river from you. What did you have in mind?

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bearclaw
What I'm trying to build is a light weight, left handed rifle for my wife, in a 6.5x55. The action will be either a Reminginton or Winchester, I'm going to buy a used rifle at gun show or pawn shop for this project, preferably Winchester. I want to send this action to someone to be rebarreled, something along the lines of a Winchester featerweight contour and be restocked with a synthetic stock. We're thing of using a McMillan stock. Basically I'm looking for a left handed Winchester featherweight in 6.5x55 with a synthetic stock and a 12" L.O.P. Mark

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mark6.5X55,

We got my wife a left-hand M70 Winchester .30-06 when Winchester introduced them a few years back. She tried all the LH bolt rifles, and liked none of them, so we decided to wait until Winchester could deliver one. Craig Boddington had told my wife that the rifle would be coming, so she decided to wait rather than go with something she did not like as well.She had her M88 Win .308 lever gun anyway.

We found that she needed a new stock as well because the factory pistol grip and stock configuration was too big for her small hand and fingers -- it forced her into canting the rifle to get her trigger finger on the trigger.

A local costom stockmaker we know cut the Winchester stock in half, and used that stock as a "cut and try" until Renae was happy with the fit. Then he sent that off with a great piece of walnut to be rough-turned on a pantograph. That helped to keep the cost down.

Don't know if your wife will be happy with the factory stock or no, but sometimes just shortening the LOP is not enough.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BearClaw,
can you give me cost estimate on this project? email me at sig202_65x55@hotmail.com

Thanks BearClaw.

------------------
Mark
http://communities.msn.com/20012002HuntingSeasoninAlabama/homepage

[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 01-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 01-25-2002).]