Find
Notify
Tools

A Model 70 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
I have two M70s, one purchased new and the other second hand. Both rifles exhibit some play when the bolt is closed and the bolt handle jiggled with the safety in the fully locked position. Is this normal, and if not, what can be done about it?

It seems to me that if the bolt can move when closed, accuracy could suffer. Does this make sense?

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:
I have two M70s, one purchased new and the other second hand. Both rifles exhibit some play when the bolt is closed and the bolt handle jiggled with the safety in the fully locked position. Is this normal, and if not, what can be done about it?

Yes, it is normal.

quote:

It seems to me that if the bolt can move when closed, accuracy could suffer. Does this make sense?

No, what do you mean?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:

Play in the bolt when it is closed and locked is normal. How and to what degree it affects accuracy is at the heart of the debate and depends on a lot of things. It is the result of machining tolerances, and is necessary to some degree, for individual pieces to operate reliably. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I imagine the extra play could have an effect if the tolerances were that lose,which they usually aren't.

However, that extra play does allow the bolt handle to rise up easier during use. Which is why the M70 devotees all preach about the bolt lock down feature.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may well be normal, but it is usually taken up with a case in the chamber.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote