New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Ghost Ring for a Savage 99 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for a ghost ring sight for my 99E and can't find one for the 99. I've looked at the Ashley Outdoors / XS system stuff, but all I can find are sights for the Win 94 and Marlin lever actions. They make a backup sight that fits on a weaver base, but I think it would probably sit to high to use the existing front sight. Any one got any suggestions.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ashley makes the peep for a Savage 99. I had a couple of them. The rifle must be drilled and tapped for mounts, as it attaches in place of the rear mount.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Brownells carries Williams reciever sights for the 99. the foolproof p# 962-200-099 Wms model # fp99s. Its an excellent sight system, I have one on my Woodsmaster. They are $65.80 from Brownells.

It too would require professional installation.

[ 06-19-2003, 05:35: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder about specialized "ghost ring set-ups". Are they any different than just removing the aperature from any standard Lyman, Williams or such aperature sight?

How old is your 99? Does it have the top tang safety? If so Williams still makes the FP-99S receiver sight that supposedly will fit without modification.

If you have an older model 99 that you don't want to alter you need to find a Lyman 57 SA for Savage 99. It's a receiver sight that mounts on the top tang. It is NOT a tang sight that folds up and down. They come up on ebay occasionally, they are not cheap, but probably not much more than a new Ashley setup.

Or I just found this on ebay. Williams Sight This may be just what you're looking for, it's cheap since it's missing the aperature which you don't want anyway. I believe it mounts on the tang hard to tell but you should ask him how it mounts.

Do a search on ebay for "savage sight" ,
there's a lot of stuff there, all depends on the mount you want to use.

Recoil Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

Kurt
Thanks for the heads up. I went back to Ashleys website and found them in the online store. You must like them if you bought more than one. And knowing your standards for rifles makes this an easy choice. Did you use the original front sights or the Ashley sights?

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 99's were rebarreled to .358 Win. I used ERA front sights from N.E.C.G, so I just picked the blade with the proper height. The folks at Ashley are pretty used to questions, so they may already have the answer you need.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote