New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a gunsmith in KS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a good gunsmith near Wichita, Kansas particularly if they have experience working on Model 94's. Would be willing to travel a little ways. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know any in Wichita, but Simmons is OK in Kansas City, although very expensive and Fred at Denny's Gun Shop in KC is very good but way backed up.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Roy Watson in Lamar MO is about 4 hours east of you. 417-394-2526

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't be afraid to mail it to someone who lives out of state. If you need to talk you don't have to be there. Jim Brockman in Idaho is an excellent smith for lever guns.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
jnemmers,
Like you, I live in Doo Dah. Wichita has a couple of very good stock makers. Jim Greenwood and Greg Hissem. Greg's website is www.greghissemstockworks.com/ and Jim can be found at Michael Murphy's in Augusta. Jim can do and does some metal work but he mostly works in wood. Both work more on shotguns than rifles.

Since Air Capital closed we do not have a good dedicated riflesmith around Wichita that I know of. Gander Mountain, Bulleye shooting range and Bullet Stop shooting range all advertise gunsmithing but in my opinon they are good for parts replacement and not a whole lot more. Gander Mountains gunsmith is a bright intelligent fellow but when I asked about glass bedding a rifle, he said he had never done it before but would be willing to try. shocker I can buy a Brownell's kit for a lot less than his rate and probably learn just about as fast. Gotta hand it to the man for being honest though!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote