Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 110 first impressions, bad
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hey guys,

My uncle just bought and picked up a savage 110 in 30-06. I didn't really look at it when we went to bakersfield to buy it, I recommended he get the tikka for a bit more but he jsut wanted a basic rifle and wanted it already setup with scope.

First, the "bore sighted" crap they feed about their package deals is just that, crap. the scope was canted to one side. doesn't matter if they bore sighted it, its crooked and will have to be done again now. not too big a deal.

He brought the rifle by last night (when he noticed the scope) and I took it, when I opened it to verify empty I saw a problem. I said "you're going to have a problem with this magazine" (it is blind magazine for those who don't know).

the left side feed lip of the magazine is bent in. very very difficult to load a round, definitely screwed if you need to reload in a hurry. I called savage today, they are going to send me another magazine but reocommended that I try just bending it out, told me that the new one might have to be "adjusted" too. what total bs. you'd think there'd be a bit of precision there somewhere.

anyways, I'll play with it tonight. I really wish I had taken a good long look at it when we were at the shop. and I wish they'd had a weatherby vanguard there to look at and buy instead. plastic triggerguard, wood feels like plastic. Hopefully it shoots otherwise it is just a shit deal all around. seeing this rifle savage aren't "affordable" or "inexpensive" they are CHEAP.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, judging all Savage rifles by one bad one might be generalizing a bit. I've been extremely happy with mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't handled any other savages aside from the little 17hmr my uncle has. for the money it isn't bad, shoots dead on. The 110, for the money, is not a good deal in my opinion.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A Savage model10FP was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Not the prettiest, but it would shoot with the best of them.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt that savage has a reputation for accuracy but my God are they ugly! They did a pretty good job on there latest version that I can't remember the name of right now but it still has that overly long ugly receiver with the back end that looks like they forgot something and the great big ugly nut on the front of the receiver.

Live is to short to shoot an ugly gun!

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Ugly?!?!?! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, accuracy makes anything beautiful, even an old rusty Marlin .22. That happens to shoot .25 at 25. Smiler

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote