New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Bluing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would like to just blue the handle and leave the remainder bright. I've been told that the entire bolt must be blued and polished back.....seems like alot of unnecessary work. Can the portion not receiving blue be masked off to save the polishing efforts?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Blueing is done at a temperature of 285-310 degrees. Can't think of anything that would stay on.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several layers of plain ol' masking tape works for me. Keeps 99% of the solution off of most bolts. Kind of messey taking it back off though. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yes it is easy to do. wrap the part you do not want blued tightly with about 10 wraps of masking tape & use iron wire to hang the bolt from making the wire long enough to use as a handle & stand the bolt on end in the tank using the wire as a handle to pull it out & check for depth of the bluring. Piece of cake!
I've used this method more times than i can count.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!
Thats hard to believe.

Does anyone have pictures of what masking tape looks like after it has been sitting in a 285 degree caustic salt bath for 40 minutes?

Needless to say I am a bit skeptical.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
well itz worked for the last 30+ years. Only submerge the part you want blued.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that Doug would post it if it did not work. I just rust blue and I put on a coating of black lacquer and two wraps of masking tape.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Just blue the whole bolt and use "Naval Jelly" to remove the blueing where you don't want it.

"Navel Jelly" is a rust remover and as such will remove blueing.

Be careful as this stuff works almost instantainiously!

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell got me started using electrical tape mask off bolts for caustic bluing. Stays on better than masking tape. Still messy coming off but better than having to repolish after bluing.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Wow learn something new everyday. Lost count of how I had gone back and polished. I thougth I was way ahead when I started hanging them over the tank.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Electrical tape, works great.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote