One of Us
posted
H

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1797 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me know if you want to see it in finished form with the wood.

I am sure you know what the answers are going to be. Wink

I doubt anyone can wait to see what a beauty this is going to turn out to be! Cool

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Let me know if you want to see it in finished form with the wood.

Nah, don't bother. We've all seen a rifle before. Big Grin

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like it, won't be like any other Hagn. Is it a commission or for you?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the inspiration SDH. Did you octogan the barrel or did Martin-hagn do it for you?...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice, SDH. I think we'd all like to see future installments of this project.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I do want to see it in finished form. Why would I want my already low self esteem to be battered further?
That's nice. I like the little oval panels at the top. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3582 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess that's what you get for asking rhetorical questions, SDH.

LOL.

Of course we all want to see more.

Can you speed it up a little?

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I read your article in the Feb 03 Accurate Rifle, for those who are interested it's on the web here:

http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/technicalinfo.htm

If you don't mind when you are able to to some more pictures could you please show a ccuple to illustrate the "Swamped" Octogen taper. I think I understand what you are saying but a picture would be great. Thanks again for sharing with us..................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
djpaintles:

If you keep posting such information, you are going to do some serious damage to my economy!

Very interesting article, SDH.

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like it more without the original hump that once raised the forward section of the recievers line. It always looked a bit perculiar to me, something that reduces those largish stock panels gets my vote. Thats why I prefer the more plain small reciever. As light as the small reciever is, I have seen one that Ralf skeletonised in the nose section. Something to consider.
Two cartridges that I like on the medium reciever are 300h*h and 9.3x74r. But I am sure many would suffer a .280 like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow...........Before trying something requiring that kind of talent I would have to cover all the windows, lock the shop door, turn on the answering machine. Then clean off the bench and lay the action and files on the bench and stare at them while I drank two cups of coffee. Check the lunar tables to make sure it was a full moon that night. Say some hail Mary's. Recite some Masonic esoteric work and with my left hand resting on a copy of SDH's Custom Rifles in Black and White and Frank DeHas's Single Shot Rifles, throw a pinch of salt over my left shoulder.

Just kidding of course. I am always struggling to improve my metal work and really enjoy studying yours Steven. I have all your books and can't wait for your next one to come out.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH,
Always great looking at and reading about your work.
Does the rib on that Martini barrel get file cut along its full length?

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH

I would like to be your file, stone, and polishing paper salesman!

Great work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, This may sound goofy but what about the flow of the forend the way the old Sharps 1897's were. They had a concave taper in front of the receiver to a shallower forend.

Here's a pic of a Shiloh Sharps:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=34

You might not be able to do something like it without reshaping the front hanger (which I don't know if it's possible). But in my head I'm thinking a flow to a shallower trimmer forend might look nice on a lightweight barrel. Or at least a change from the rounded "booby" panels. I may be thinking way off but I'm just tossing idea's around for the process of it..............DJ