Notify
Tools

Mcmillan stock question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted
Hello folks:

I am having a Browining stainless stalker rebarreled and restocked. I spoke with the lady at McMillan and she said that the Browning "Hunter" model, which is the stock that I am interested in, will handle up to a #3 contour barrel. Of course, I was wanting a #4 contour for the rebarrel project. [Roll Eyes]

My questions are these:

How does a #3 contour Shilen compare to the factory barrel? Is the #3 contour heavier? [Confused]

If the "Hunter" model will accept up to a #3 contour, can the barrel channel be milled out to accept a #4 without screwing it up or making it look bad? [Confused]

If it's going to be a pain, I can go with the "classic" model which, according to the lady at Mcmillan, will handle up to a #5 contour. The difference between the "hunter" and "classic" is that the hunter has a monte carlo comb, the classic is straight. I would prefer the monte carlo.

Thanks for the help guys...X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not all #3 (or any number countour) countour barrels have the same profile. Take a look at the various barrel makers web-sites to see what number they assign to each of their profiles and compare them.....and ask McMillan what "they" mean by a #3 countour.

If you have a specific barrel maker in mind I would copy the dimensions before you talk to McMillan so you make sure you both are talking about the same thing.

Having said that, if McMillan thinks the barrel is to big for a specific barrel I would not try and open the barrel past that point. At best I'm sure it void their warranty and at worst it could be dangerous to shoot.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know what McMillan use for their barrel profiles but they told me that my Express stock would only accept a barrel profile up to a #5 contour. When I got my Express stock from them, it was more than big enough to accept a barrel profile up to a #7 contour or even bigger. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
McMillan uses Douglas contour designations,as a standard reference.

The Hunter pattern you mention,looks to be a Sako Hunter stock. I have that handle(Sako Hunter) with a #4 Douglas tube in it,wearing a short shank and it very much fills that stock up. I'd most certainly weigh their input on max contour in a given stock design,as they know a little bit about their handles(grin).

I rather like the looks and feel of that pattern,but that is subjective....................

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys, that information is very helpful.

Big stick:

When you say that it "very much fills that stock up" do you mean that it is too tight? Can you get the #4 Douglas in the stock easily and still be free-floated?

Thanks,

X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I mean on my particular stock,a #4 contour is all she wants. Though I don't have the Browning Hunter pattern on hand,I'll make the dangerous assumption that it is identical to the Sako Hunter pattern and inletting is the sole difference.

-

I could float the barrel if I wanted,but have sorta gravitated towards the full-length bedding train of thought,in many applications. This rifle preferred some upward pressure,so I bedded it full length to grant that wish. The only reason I opted a #4 contour,was to increase the weight of the finished rifle,to help manage recoil.

Again,McMillan knows their product better than anyone else and I'd listen to their guidance regarding perameters.

By the way,I dig that pattern and it capably harnesses the bite outta the 338Ultra I poked inside it. I opted heavy fill and a Decelerator pad. It is very comfortable to shoot,even when contorted in the field or lying prone.

She's one of my favorite rifles and that pattern is part of the attraction...................