Notify
Tools

Scope selection for BAR and Rem 700
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I have a Browning BAR in 30-06 and have a Leupold VX 111
2.5x8 on it. I have it mounted in Leupolds Quick Detach mounts. THE PROBLEM IS in order to have Butler creek scope caps on it I have had to remove the iron sights. I am not happy with this as I shoot the iron sights very well and they make a great back up if the scope goes FUBAR.

Any suggestions??? I was considering putting either a fixed power 6X on there or either a VX111 1.75x6 on the rifle. Both scopes are smaller and I could still have my iron sights.

I am also going to be recieving a Rem M700 ADG in 375 HH. I want to do the same thing but I will probably shit can the rem sights for smoe Ashley Outdoors peep sights. I am likewise thinking either a fixed 4X, 6X or the VX111 1.75x6 in Leopold's QD.

Any suggestions and personal experience is appreciated.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A set of higher rings, perhaps?

Personally, I always favor fixed powered optics if for no other reason than it is one less thing to worry about and fiddle with when you’re hunting. To me the minus to a variable scope is just that...it’s “variable.†When you turn that power ring you are not just changing the size of the image seen through the scope. The brightness changes, the resolving power changes, the eye relief changes, the field of view changes, and the depth of focus changes. And unless you have one of the better scopes that has been maintained well, the focus (parallax) can also change slightly with a change in power.

In slow deliberate shooting all those things may not be a bother...but in hunting, animals usually don’t just sit there at a known distance and wait for you to get all your settings adjusted both on your equipment and in your mind.

Just my personal views...and I’m sure some others will take umbrage to my pissing in the Holy Grail of current scope lore and disagree.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick,

I am embarassed to say I had not thought of the higher rings. I partially agree with you on the fixed scope prefference. I have quite a few fixed scopes in service and I have never felt at dissadvantage with them. I shot a moose last year at 175 yds with my 45 70 and a fixed 2.5 power scope. I leave most of my variables on 4x while hunting and shoot most things on 4x. I feel that for the most part yoe shoot things close. But when a far shot presents itself and I can't get closer being able to crank up the scope is nice.

Thanks

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the purpose of lens caps? Lens glass is not particularly subject to damage, and a quick wipe with a soft, dry cloth is all it takes to remove dust or moisture. Some people seem to insist on shooting through lens caps, particularly in a "snap shot" situation; shooting through lens caps degrades the image to about the quality of a forty-year old Taiwanese import, and can distort the zero, also. Your 2.5-8X in LOW mounts is perfect for your BAR. Leave it alone.

Removing a scope to use iron sights sounds like a great belt-and-suspenders approach, but realistically, if you use strong NON-DETACHABLE mounts and a quality scope like a Leupold, your chances of needing the (very inferior and much slower) iron sights is practically nil. Besides, there's no way to make the gun's comb the right height for BOTH a scope and irons. One or the other is going to give you a poor stock fit, and stock fit is of paramount importance when the shooting is quick, or when it requires the utmost in accuracy.

Of course, the above represents only one man's opinion, and other well-meaning but misguided souls may differ.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

I agree with you and the "lens cap" theory. However I am planning on using the flip up butler creek models, not the shoot through type. I have them on all of my other scoped rifles and they are much needed up here in Maine unless all you do is road hunt.

I have to agree with you on the "great belt with suspenders"
analogy. I will probably never use the iron sights but it is nice to be able to do so rather than go home or have to haul an extra scope or rifle out to deer camp if the scope does go FUBAR.

I am thinking of using the offset QD mounts that will bring the scope back about 3/4 to 1 inch. It won't bring the scope any higher so it will still line up great.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
Stonecreek,

I agree with you and the "lens cap" theory. However I am planning on using the flip up butler creek models, not the shoot through type.

I guess I would need to see just how much mechanical interference you have to deal with. Obviously, moving the scope a bit rearward in the rings would be my first choice but then you run into other interference issues with the bell of the scope relative to the front ring. Leupold scopes are famous for generous eye relief and you may be able to take advantage of this feature. If the interference is slight as happens frequently, you can file the scope cap down a bit to give you that small extra bit of clearance needed to allow it to pass over the rear sight. If the interference is significant then yes, higher rings "may" solve it but then they might not. Another idea is to switch to a compact form factor scope (such as a 3-9) Leupold. It's not a VX-III but it's still a very good scope.

re5513

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honkey -for your scope cap situation this is what I think you should consider. And you wouldn't need to change the rings you're now using.

There is a company here in Bozeman called Quake Industries. They make a product called the Scope Boot. This is what I carry on all my scopes these days. For me they are the best I've seen or tried.

They are about $5 a pair, they are made of rubber, you can not see thru them but they do work great.

Do a search and see if you can find there web site.

Let me know if you have any questions.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote