Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pre 64 M-70 vs FN Mauser for custom base
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
In my completely unbiased view??? Just about anything made by FN will be better than just about anything made by anyone else. The FN's are true to the Mauser design, which makes them excellent in my mind. I haven't seen one of the Sears branded rifles in years, I know they were built to a price point but I'm not sure if the metal finishing was rougher or not. Even if it is rougher just a little polishing and it will make an excellent custom.

The main thing is they are way cheaper than a pre-64 Winchester.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I should chime in here......pre-64 model 70, 50s vintage, hands down.....They don't call 'em "the rifleman's rifle" for nothing......Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I love that left sided bolt shroud safety on the F.N.! Nothing more natural than to put the safety near where your is thumb is located. If your Mauser has one leave it there, If you must take it off for a 3-position Winchester get in touch with me, I want it! My favorite is the M98, but there is no wrong answer to this question.

Plain and simple, both are fine choices for a custom project.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote