New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current recommendations for receiver annealing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any recommendations for annealing some Mauser receivers? Turnaround time is not important (have been planning one project for 1.5 yrs now!) but price is. I have 3 or 4 to do right now.

One is an Oberndorf that is going to get a few pits TIG'd along with rear square bridge, one is becoming an open sight 458 Lott, not sure about the other two.

Thanks,
TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
http://www.bmproc.com/

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have annealed small parts by putting them in my oven and running it through a cleaning cycle, but only parts that have no chance of warping, like bolt shrouds.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but stuff like this should be done by people that really know what's up. I recommend Pacific Metalurgy in Kent WA 800 428 9436. They will also do the proper job of heat treating. Mausers have been unmercifully abused. It just shows up the genius of the design

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oven cleaning cycle ? That's about 700-800 F if I remember. Not what I would call anneal.If you're going to do something with it remember that the Mausers are made with a plain ,low carbon steel like a 1020 , and carburized.Many like my '43 Oberndorf had spotty carburizing. The proper way then is to have the action recarburized and rehardened by those who know how to do it ,such as the two companies mentioned above. It's worth the money to do it right ! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will call these two places. I have found a few gun shops that advertise annealing and hardening, but it turns out that they are just sending them out. I would rather send them myself and at least know who is doing it.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote