New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning ivory
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a 94 levergun the other day. Made in 57 so a couple years younger than me. Big Grin Mounted a peepsight on it and proceeded to look in my stash for a classy front sight comparable to the front on it. Have a sleek one with an ivory bead, which is what I desired. Prob is it is darkened quite a bit. What is the best way to brighten these up? Tried a bit of gentle brushing but seemed not to help. Any cleaner work?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can polish it with Fabulustre on a cotton buff. The dark color could go all the way through though.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Taylor:
I picked up a 94 levergun the other day. Made in 57 so a couple years younger than me. Big Grin Mounted a peepsight on it and proceeded to look in my stash for a classy front sight comparable to the front on it. Have a sleek one with an ivory bead, which is what I desired. Prob is it is darkened quite a bit. What is the best way to brighten these up? Tried a bit of gentle brushing but seemed not to help. Any cleaner work?

I wonder if a commercial tooth whitening preparation would bleach it?

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hydrogen peroxide is used to clean and whiten ivory piano keys. That is usually the active ingredient in tooth whitening preparations.

Worth a try, I don't see it harming anything.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote