New
Find
Notify
Tools

WINCHESTER MOD70 BOLT ASSEMBLY
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the trick for re-assembling a pre-64 winchester mod 70 bolt? Specifically the threaded pin that goes through the shroud. Can't for the life of me get it to go in so the threads will engage. The bolt functions fine without it, so not sure what it is for?

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 526 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
As long as the firing pin is oriented correctly it should go right in. I've never had a problem with one. Is it going in far enough to engage the thread or is the thread damaged?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The threads are not damaged. It is not going in far enough to engage them.

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the firing pin assembly out and try the screw in just the shroud. If it still won't go in, there is something wrong with the thread. I can't imagine having the fiing pin assembly reversed but, with all the garage gunsmiths out there, you never know. That screw is supposed to fit in the angled cut on the firing pin and acts as a safety if the firing pin should break.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tested the screw in the hole and it screws in just fine so threads are not damaged. I'm at work now so will look at other possibilities when I get home later this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got it to go and now fuctions as its supposed to. Guess I wasn't holding my tongue just right. Thanks for all your help,

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER