New
Find
Notify
Tools

'95 Mauser Scope Mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a '95 mauser that was sporterized previously by an old 'smith who had a great reputation--I have a few of his other projects that are my prize peices. On this one however, the holes in the rear of the receiver are located nearly a full hole width of center to the left. I have tried leupold bases, since they allow for more windage adjustment, but the rear is two high for proper alignment of the scope in the rings. Weaver bases leave the scope canted to the left of the bore line and a leupold scope does not have enough windage adjustment to compensate for the mal-alignment of the screw holes.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct the situation?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the rear bridge holes are drilled wrong and your rear base is going to sit at angle and off too one side.
I had a "smith" drill the rear holes way off on a 96 mauser. He ruined the reciever and had to pay me for another reciever.
Trying to correct a screw up like that with the winage screws doesnt fly in my book .

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Probably the simplest way is to drill some new holes in some bases, that way the holes will be the only thing offset. If the offset of the holes is too close you may have to elongate the existing holes and make sure the bases are epoxied down good in addition to the screws.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could tig the holes and re-drill.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have got one hole off center when I did not use a starter drill or jig, but just dialed it in on the mill.

To get the mount to go straight, I had to file the hole into an oblong shape. The square bottom countersink for the fillister head must be widened too. The right sized end mill is required. If this is not at the right height, when the screw is tightened, the mount will move to where the screw is at the low spot. So I surfaced the entire countersink.

Getting two Weaver mounts in the same plane and pointed in the same direction is problematic, even without an enlarged screw hole. There are two ways I use to get alignment while the epoxy under the Weaver mount gets hard:

1) Attach a scope with the rings in perfect position and tight on the tube. Clamp the rings to the mount tight, and the mounts will be forced into the same plane and pointed in the same direction. This works great if one can get the scope rings on straight, but rings free to move will do so when being tightened on the tube. Trying to get the rings tightened in the same plane and the right distance apart for the mounts is a frustrating exercise.

2) Put the receiver [or barreled receiver] upside down on a flat surface and see that the flat top surfaces of the mounts are in the same plane. Then rotate the receiver and see that the edges of the Weaver rail are flush with the flat surface. The problem with this, is that when mounts are free to move, they move when tightened, and trying to tighten them in a way that leaves them straight [so that no light shines under the edge on a flat surface] is a frustrating exercise. At least this method can be used to see how bad a rifle's scope mounts are aligned when finished.

--

A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote