Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with 375
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
If you had a remington 375 push feed and wanted to convert it to a sheep and elk rifle what would you do to it?

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you are planning on hunting most, I would leave it as is for Elk or rebarrel it to .338 Win Mag or .300 Win Mag for Elk and Sheep. Just my 2.5 cent's worth- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
Palmer,

As desireable as a CRF maybe, there are no flies on the 375 as an elk cartridge. Especially with the 250 gr bullets available.

Shiester has a good point, look at the amount of sheep hunts vs. elk hunts one is likely to go on and I would keep the 375 for elk. Then build a specialized mountain rifle for sheep.

Just my .02 worth

BD

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
palmer,

An other vote to rebarrel in .338 or .300 Win Mag.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I'd have a 257Wby built out of it. Or a 30-8mmRemmag.............

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
leave it as is fro elk, and load 180s or 200 gr hawk sp for sheep, with a thin jacket.
my 2�
jeffe

or, swap me for a 1903a3 national ord, with a lam gray/green tumbhole stock, in 257 wsm

Posts: 38641 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave it as it is, the .375 H&H is a great round, it will not for crankey animals so crf is not that important.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm...If you don't plan to hunt in Africa with it you could always shorten the barrel, re-crown it, and replace the stock with a synthetic one. Then I would mount on it a fixed 4x or 6x Leupold scope on it. I would use .300-grain or heavier bullets with it for everything. A .375 H&H shooting below 270-grain bullets is much like a .338 WM with 250-grain bullets. What the .375 H&H does best is to shoot bullets from 270 grains and up.

But you could always leave it alone, and buy a .300 or .338WM. With the .338 you could shoot bullets up to 300 grains, but for elk you can use from 210 to 250-grain bullets.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
In these situations I always suggest selling a rifle instead of changing it. If you rebarrel a .375 to a lighter caliber the barrel will not fit the stock if it's a lighter barrel. If it's not a lighter barrel then the .375 will do it all.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by palmer:
If you had a remington 375 push feed and wanted to convert it to a sheep and elk rifle what would you do to it?

Convert?

I don't understand the question as you have asked it. If you use the rifle for elk, it's an elk rifle... I guess. If you use it for sheep, then (by the same logic) it's a sheep rifle.

I don't have "elephant rifles" and "buffalo rifles" and "elk rifles" and "deer rifles." I just have rifles.

If you have a .375 H&H Magnum, load for elk and sheep accordingly. They make some quality lightweight bullets that would give you a nice flat trajectory for sheep, and you could use some heavier slugs for elk.

I wouldn't do a thing to "convert" the rifle. I'd just work up appropriate loads for whatever I'm hunting. You've got a rifle that will handle anything on the planet if you use the right bullet and aim correctly.

Russ

[ 07-01-2002, 09:38: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell is spot on.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree with Don's rational and advice completely. If you don't want a .375 H&H, by all means trade it in on a rifle in a caliber you do want. There's always someone looking for a good used .375!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rebarrel it to 300 Win or Wtby Mag and send that old 375 Ouch & Ouch barrel up here to me.......

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
If I had a .375 H&H and wanted to convert it to an elk and sheep rifle, I would load it with a spitzer or spire-point bullet like the new Nosler Ballistic Tip 260 grain at a velocity of 2800 or so FPS, and zero it to hit +4" @ 100 yards. Eureka!! An elk/sheep rifle!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would trade it for a pre 64 Win in 300 H&H, or 300 Win. and give some boot. A new barrel installed and chambered would run about $300 plus, so why not upgrade while your at it....

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote