Find
Notify
Tools

Peruvian 1909?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the skinny on the Peruvian 1909?

Is this just an intermediate length 98 action? Are they threaded for large ring barrels?

Looks like they have a high charger hump.

Kuhnhausen says "Not reccomended," but didn't I see a Jack Belk tutorial on building one of these?

They're Oberndorf actions.

Thanks,

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are just a regular 98 length and dimensions.

I have always thought that the high charger hump looked quite stunning on custom guns with open sights.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
According to Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Robert W. D. Ball. "There were approximately fifty thousand produced between 1910 and 1914. It is basically an export version of the Gew 98. The action incorporates an auxilary locking lug, a nonrotating extractor, and the early, heavy, 1904-style cocking piece. The peruvian Model 1909 is unusual in that the reciever ring is longer than normal, with several other diminsions deviating from that of the standard Gew. 98."
It does have a higher hump than the GEW though.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The Peruvian IS a standard length large ring action BUT it has a longer than normal receiver ring to allow room for that gorgious crest & the " Mauser Original" logo. The reciever was left in the white. Due to the long reciever ring it has an intermediate length magazine & bolt. The barrel thread diameter that of the small ring Mauser. They also have a true pear shaped bolt handle knob. I'll post a couple of close ups as soon as I get my camera back from my daughter. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedIs the 1909 a cock on closing? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
It is essentially the same as the 1903 Turk.

Like Doug said, it is basically standard 98, but the front ring is .200" longer, the bolt .200" shorter, and the magazine .200" shorter. Also, like Doug said, it is threaded for the SR shank 0.980"X12 Tpi. They have the high charger hump that the 1903 Turk does.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I may be mistaken on my previous post.

I was speaking out of memory about a personal gun, however the gun I am thinking of is a 1935 Peruvian, not a 1909.

The 1935 is a beautiful 98 with the high charger hump and normal dimensions.

I am going to thereby infer that there was a distinct change in the overall gun between 1909 and 1935.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedIs the 1909 a cock on closing? bewilderedroger

All 98 variants are.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r-

Rethink that.

pre-98's were mostly cock on closing.

98's were cock on opening.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I think I need to re-read it not re-think it, lol.

Now that I've re-read it, all 98 variants are cock on opening. Duh!

I think one should not drink & type. Who'd have thought Ice Tea was so dangerous?

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who'd have thought Ice Tea was so dangerous?

Careful amigo...it'll slip up on ya before you know it! beer

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I think I need to re-read it not re-think it, lol.

Now that I've re-read it, all 98 variants are cock on opening. Duh!

I think one should not drink & type. Who'd have thought Ice Tea was so dangerous?

I was wondering about you and your Mauser banner for a minute. Big Grin

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll admit a little disappointment.

Just like a Turk?

I figured a 1909 Peruvian would be very desirable as a donor action. Nice to leave that "Oberndorf" pressing after you cleaned it up, too.

I guess it's obvious I was pretty pleased with myself when I found one. The price is good, I think, but it's matching and clean, so you'd be faced with the "worth it to strip it down" dilemma.

And yes, Jack Belk has one on his site.

No tutorial, though. Just some images.

flaco

I guess the small ring barrel shank would be an issue, also. Oh well.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The 1903 Turks were German made and were nice actions. If I'm not mistaken, weren't they also Oberndorf made? The Turks had a way of making perfectly good actions look ugly. That's what happens when you rebuild an action two or three times.

If you don't want that Peruvian, I'll take it.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So.

Let me see if I've got this right.

You (or one, or I) get a Lothar Walther 722 barrel--probably the best deal out there, in terms of both quality and price--but it's not a plug and play.

The small ring Mauser shank is narrower--.980 vs 1.1--than the standard 98.

But that's no problem, as the size difference is enough to allow re-threading.

Then you (or one, or I) has the shank length problem to deal with. The standard 98 shank is about .625. But at .645, the small ring shank is longer. The Lothar Walther barrels are long chambered, but... who cares?

You're gonna re-thread and lengthen the shank anyway.

You (or one, or I) end up with a shorter, stiffer action, that's still long enough to handle any number of great chamberings.

Cartridges with cachet.

Now I guess I see why Jack Belk included it on his site.

As I see it, the only question is... whether you leave that beautiful Peruvian crest on the action when you (or one, or I LOL) clean it up.

flaco

Did I leave out grinding down the charger hump? Oh well.

And all this, of course, after you've decided it's worth it to destroy an otherwise nice matching Peruvian 1909.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
The 1903 Turks were German made and were nice actions. If I'm not mistaken, weren't they also Oberndorf made?

Yes.

spinksranch.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgive me if I'm getting enthused about this.

Anyway, one more question: Looks like the guard screw spacing is the same as the standard 98.

But... are all the dimensional differences in the front of the the receiver?

In short, will Argie bottom metal bolt on?

Will that little flange on the rear of the magazine be in the right place to fit into the Peruvian receiver?

flaco

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Argie bottom metal will bolt on, as will any other standard 98 bottom metal. However, the front wall will be too far forward.

You can get Blackburn bottom metal if you like.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The 1909 Peruvian is one of the most beautiful of all the military 98s. Unfortunately I don't have one, look in Olson's book for a pic. They are fairly scarce, especially with matching numbers. They make a knock-out custom rifle, if done right.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote