Find
Notify
Tools

long action for a mauser 98 inletted stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
I have a very pretty Claro walnut stock on my 1909 Argentine actioned 338-06. I am restocking that rifle in a McMillan synthetic stock. I would like to build a 458 Lott and stock it with a pretty peice of wood. What action should I obtain for the purpose that would fit my 1909 stock's inletting with the least amount of alteration? I would really like to have a real heavy hitter sitting in this stock.

Thanks for any input,

...Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Build a 458 or a 416 Taylor. If you really want a 458 Lott, don't hamper it with a short, expensive action. It can be done, but the cost to do it properly will pay for a stock for a different action that fits to start with.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I agree with Art. You'd have to extend the magazine inletting front and rear....too much trouble for not enough results.

It's easier to figure out what M-98 *don't* fit the same inletting as the '09 Argy. They're of the *standard* size and shape and others are the exceptions.

VZ-24 should be a drop in but I've never swapped stocks before. I don't know for sure. The actions should be the same, but the bottom metal is different. Buy Argentine bottom metal and an eighty dollar VZ and you're in business. [Smile]