Notify
Tools

Trigger guard needed for CZ made Mark X
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Folks:

I just received in the mail a .458 Win Mag with the following markings. On the recoil pad in says Whitworth. Imprinted on the action is Mark X and CZ.

Unfortunately, during shipment, the trigger guard was bent and needs to be replaced (and there were some minor gouges put in the cheekpiece, but I have a repair price for that).

Does anyone know where a trigger guard could be found? USPS says they'll pay damages, but I need to get them a figure for the price of the trigger guard.

I thank you in advance for your direction.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It's no longer made. But, fortunately for USPS they still make aftermarket metal and they can buy the parts and not the whole rifle.

http://www.blackburnmachine.com/

Be sure to get the polished version as your old one was polished before damaged and add about $30.00 for blueing.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
It's no longer made. But, fortunately for USPS they still make aftermarket metal and they can buy the parts and not the whole rifle.

Be sure to get the polished version as your old one was polished before damaged and add about $30.00 for blueing.

Terry

FRAUD is the word I would use for that....and people wonder why they have problems with UPS paying claims on firearms. I wouldn't blame them if this is the shit people try to pull on them.

While the exact part may no longer be in production, they aren't difficult to find in new or good used condition.

This fellow had some Mark X metal with the release in the bow a few months ago.

http://www.rrguns.us/

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Magnum length bottom metal from a Mark X action that is in quite new condition. It is the old style with the release inside the bow.
I would sell it for $175 plus shipping if you can get UPS to pay that.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Judge, I'd be interested in buying your bent guard if the price is reasonable! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Judge,

If nothing else, try and buy it off eBay and have the post office reimburse you. The last I checked, hinged short magnum triggerguards were selling for over $100. I would think you can do that and it not be fraudulent (IMO).

Best of luck in your search!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Terry

FRAUD is the word I would use for that....and people wonder why they have problems with UPS paying claims on firearms. I wouldn't blame them if this is the shit people try to pull on them.

While the exact part may no longer be in production, they aren't difficult to find in new or good used condition.

This fellow had some Mark X metal with the release in the bow a few months ago.

http://www.rrguns.us/

And why would you call it fraud? Can you tell the man where they sell magnum MarkX bottom metal? Do you know how much MarkX would charge for the replacement magnum bottom metal if they where still around? I bet you can't on either account. Seeing as it was a .458 win mag it used a magnum box. Is the one RR guns sells a magnum box? do you even know? It's $170.00 Why is it fraud to get one that actually fits the action for another $100? Where else are you going to find one of those? Are you and the insurance going keep an eye on ebay auctions and wait for one to show up (someday maybe) then bid on it, win the auction then file the claim? Is the insurance guy going to find one for you? are you going to get paid for your time looking for exact box so you can save the insurance man $100? It's not fraud in the least bit. Given the choice that or paying for the rifle I'm sure it's still a good deal.

I'm not trying to get over on anyone and screw you if you think I am.

Terry

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I'm not calling it fraud, I'm telling you that is fraud.

Misrepresentation. The rifle apparently didn't have a Blackburn on it in the beginning. Insurance is there to make you whole on your loss, not to give you an upgrade.

There isn't anything different between the .458 box and any other Mark X triggerguard, with the exception of the lengthened .375 H&H. That has been covered over and over again here, and I've proved it myself with my purchases of them over the years by swapping them back and forth. The standard caliber triggerguards are the same as all of the short magnums on every one I've ever had, touched, or played with.

The only thing "special" about this triggerguard, is that it likely an older one that has the flooplate release in the bow.

If the rifle doesn't have the bow release, and has the button.....replacement parts are READILY available and still in production - see the Remington 798.

I've even got a new one in the parts bin right now that I paid $89 for on Ebay a few months ago. Bought it from Davis May, he may have more yamyor38@pld.com

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The Remington 798 box is a push button box, not nearly the same as a CZ made Whitworth is it? All the Whitworth's I've ever seen had bow release boxes. Does your insurance guy do Ebay? I don't think mine does. What I suggested is a replacement part not fraud.

Terry

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Some of the late ones had the push button. I've had one, and seen two.

I've provided two contact points that should prevent anybody from having to resort to Ebay.

As far as being a replacement part - the alloy guard Brownells sells for $60 would be a replacement part too.

Again, insurance is for making you whole due to your loss, not giving you an upgrade.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of the late ones had the push button. I've had one, and seen two.

I've provided two contact points that should prevent anybody from having to resort to Ebay.

As far as being a replacement part - the alloy guard Brownells sells for $60 would be a replacement part too.

Again, insurance is for making you whole due to your loss, not giving you an upgrade.

Yes, but you shouldn't have settle for less than you had either and that would include push button bottom metal and alloy anything.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Mark X, Charles Daly, and
Rem 798 all are made by Zastava.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote