New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrell Mounted Sling Swivel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to have a sling swivel mount put on a P-64 Win barrell with intregral front sight. Some of the Super Grade P-64s had a rectangular mounting point soldered (or screwed) on the under side of the barrell, I'm looking for that component. Anyone know where I might be able to buy one??

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of a place that sells them in a blank form, you are probably going to have to have it custom done, as it will need to be milled and lapped to fit your barrel properly, as soldering it on is going to need good contact. Plus the barrel will have to be polished to remove the bluing from that spot and then it will have to be reblued to match up the color afterwards.

There are many smiths on here that could do a bang up job for you on it, maybe they'll let you know what it would run $$ wise.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago,

Thanks for the response. No supprize, and really it won't be hard to mill one. The barrelled action is at the gunsmiths already getting some much needed attention...

Best regards;
Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,
I've just finished making two as I could find no source for the older ring types you might find on turn of the century rifles.The best way I found was to dig in the junk box and find a ramp sight base with the barrel contour you need and file the exposed shape you need, mine ended up about 1/8 inch thick 3/8 inch wide and an inch long. Drill and tap at the center. I then took a modern swivel stud and thinned and filed it to the required ring shape, threaded it to match the base, screwed it in and soldered it in with Brownells High Force 44. Use masking tape to mask around the base where it will join the barrel and a fine file to remove the blue, if you are careful no blueing touch up will be required. Then solder the base to the barrel per Brownells instructions. New England Custom Guns may have a facory made one but for me Cheap is the mother of invention.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote