Find
Notify
Tools

Last P-14/P-17 Question!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
So if the only differences between the two are the flat breeching of the P-14 yielding a larger lug vs. the P-17's cone breech and the feed rail angles:

is there any reason to choose the P-17 for building say a .500 A-Sq? Why not the P-14?

Is it simply easier to start with the P-17? Less machine work?

Reason I ask is Sarco has P-14's complete for $74.95 and P-17 less sights for $135.00. If I need the P-14 bolt then I should be good to go by purchasing their "gunsmiths special" of 3 for $210.00?

Your comments appreciated.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the mag box is differant as well, Roger, but if you're replacing it anyway, you may as well go with the P14 for your boomers. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Rodger- depends on what your building. A P-14/1917 built into a reliable big bore is gonna be very expensive and unless you have the proper jigs, a real expensive pain. Despite the low price, by the time your done you will have spent more than on a good CZ550. With that said there are some advantages. you can build a T-rex or 505 Gibbs for example on a P-14 (A-square did it) because the locking lugs give adequate cartridge control despite the .700 bolt diameter ( T-Rex rim is .688). The other advantage is that you can get proper bottom metal (pricey) for a 505 Gibbs/T-Rex for the P-14-1917 enfield from Wisner. So far no one offers such bottom metal for the CZ550. There is nothing wrong with a good 1917 enfield although there have been sporatic reports of some of these actions failing. My own experience is limited to a 470 MBOGO conversion, however, given all the work that took, I am rethinking just making another 470MBOGO on a CZ550 and converting the Enfield into a T-Rex.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I believe the choice falls to the P-14 since it is less expensive. There being no tructural difference between the two. Structural difference meaning one shorter than the other.
Since they're so cheap I might as well get two. I wonder why the P-17 was chosen and the P-14 bolt used. Maybe less machining overall?

Thanks again.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Roger,
a p17 with a p14 bolt might not require the bolt face to be opened for a std mag. The rails on the p14 would feed a mag, pretty much.

I am looking at what I've got left on machining for my 500j, and I am still going slow. It takes *me* a couple hours to decide where to cut. I've got lots of work, but since I do my own, it's quite a bit less $$$ than having another smith do it.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Since they're so cheap I might as well get two."

Is there a deal on drill rifles somewhere? I got five about fifteen years ago and am ready for more. Built some really nice rifle with those actions.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another advantage of the M1917 is that there is no hole to fill on the rear bridge on the Remington and some of the Eddystone manufacture. From what I've seen, all the P14s have the hole in the rear bridge.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot:

Is there a deal on drill rifles somewhere? I got five about fifteen years ago and am ready for more. Built some really nice rifle with those actions.

Ah HA! Found you!

I couldn't remembered who asked this question and in what forum. I've been looking for the past 20 minutes.

Well... the P-14 drill actions my buddy and I are using come from a batch he got several years ago from Paragon -- who, I'm so incredibly HAPPY to say, has long been out of business!!! Truly the scourge of the business world, I swear!

Anyway... no new batch.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote