Notify
Tools

Re: 300 RUM Conversion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted
Quote:

Gentlemen, I appreciate all the advice. The gun is already put together but the feed problem. That will be remedied with Mag box and follower. I have 80 Lbs of IMR 5010 that works great in my 7 STW and will do good in my RUM. I'm not a quiter and I will make it work. If Remington can do it so can I. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I can drive over to Brownell's for the parts and spend less than $30.00. Thanks again. OLCRIP

Gentlemen,

As I said I will make it work. I put the barreled action into a factory magnum mountain rifle stock in ADL configuration. I hade to modify the feed ramp so that it was the same width as the front part of the feed rails. It feeds so slick that I was surprised. Still using the stock magnum follower, it does just fine. The ADL mag box is deeper than the the BDL and I can cram 3 rds into the mag box but it is tight, too tight for a hunting rifle. My next step will be to cut the windows into the ADL mag box to give the shoulders more room to spread out and thus fit lower into the box.

JOHN CHARLY NOAK,

Where are the 300 rum barreles you asked me to email you about? I never heard back from you, were you just being feceious or were you for real? I was and still am for real. If I get 600 to 800 rds from a hunting rifle barrelit should last a life time. It only takes one shot if you do your part as your supposed to.

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds fun. I'll keep my eyes open. If Remington uses the same barrel contour for the Ultra Mags as it does for the regular Mags it should be pretty easy to dredge up some take-off barrels. Even though they build these rifles on an assembly line, the barrels are definitely not interchangeable. It seems to me that it is generally a good idea to set the barrel back at least one turn, and then cut/recut a new chamber. Then you have something straight, not at the sloppy end of SAAMI specs, and a with crisp new throat.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey olcrip,
I went to Boise today. No one has any 300 RUM take-off barrels yet, BUT... There are plenty of 300 Winchester take-off barrels around, and one guy has a 300 RUM reamer. After hunting season in February, with lots of close adult supervision I'll face off a barrel and cut a short chamber on one for you. Let me know what contour (Magnum or Sendero) you want, and I'll put a barrel back for you. You'll obviously still need someone to screw it on and finish reaming the last .010" or so, but you would need to do that anyway.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
JCN,
I do all my own work so screwing in a bbl would not be a problem. I plan to build the entire line of long ultra mags so the 7mm, 338, and the 375 ultra mag bbls would also be welcome. I have the 300 ultra mag reamer but would like to acquire the other three. I appreciate your help.

I will be taking out the 300 ultra Sunday the 22nd for some range time. Let you know how it turned out. Olcrip.

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Funny you should spell marry the way you did. Mary is the name of the girl I just broke up with. I got an email from her today and then you mispell your word with her name, how ironic! But you know, I'm enjoying my love of shooting again in almost a year. That wompass cat sure can turn your thinking around. I didn't even get out west last fall and will be eating my heart out again this fall. Next year I will be in the mountains and desert if I have to crawl all the way out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you in Peoria?
I moved to Idaho from there. Every thing there is called River City _______.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ground squirrels and cats are my downfall. I will shoot up everything in the truck at either one. The Shorthairs usually beat me to the cats though. I have to leave the windows up when I drive through town. Our former librarian prays for me to burn in hell every night. She used to put out food and water for the stray cats in town. Magda and Uta (and Kodi the Labrador thug) would stake it out like one of those game feeders in Texas.
There is a fine art to yelling at your dogs about killing cats in front of people and at the same time whispering under your breath "good doggies, nice stretch on that gray tabby".
JCN