New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington action scratches brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a new Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Magnum. Price was cheaper than what I can buy a new action for and could not resist. Anyway, I am getting ready get rid of the cheap plastic stock, restock it, and break it in. So I ran a couple dummy rounds through it to check function. I notice it does seem to scratch the brass a little more than I like. Even though this is a purely hunting gun, I do like to keep the brass and reload it none the less. Is there something I can do to reduce the scratching of the brass? Thanks for your input.

Lonnie

Posts: 37 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
determine exactly what is doing the scratching... feed rails, feed ramp, chamber???...then polish the rough spots... my first "custom" was just a rebarrel with a new stock... it sat in my collection for over 10 yrs unfired... and then the chamber marked brass... tip burns www.canyonsportingarms.com set the chamber back several threads and cleaned up whatever was doing the scratching...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I was looking inside the action and one thing is apparent there are very sharp pointed edges on front of the magazine box. Feed rals appeared to be sharp edged also. I will have to decide whether I will tackle the job or have a smith do the work.

Lonnie

Posts: 37 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The spring-loaded ejection plunger in the bolt face of the Rem 700 pushes the brass hard against the right-hand edge of the chamber. Is this where your brass is getting "scratched", or is it upon firing from roughness in the chamber itself?

If it is a result of the ejection plunger, there's not much you can do as this is a function of the design. Sometimes the spring tension is greater than necessary, so you might grind a coil or so off of the ejector spring to reduce the sideways tension on the case.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote