Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bedding a butler creek stock
 Login/Join

posted
FN Mauser 98 in a butler creek synthetic stock.
Recoil lug has screw coming through center. Synthetic stock seems a little mushy in action area and back tang screw area.
Thinking of using stainless steel thin plate under action. And acraglas
Anyone ever bed one of these?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richard48367:
FN Mauser 98 in a butler creek synthetic stock.
Recoil lug has screw coming through center. Synthetic stock seems a little mushy in action area and back tang screw area.
Thinking of using stainless steel thin plate under action. And acraglas
Anyone ever bed one of these?

I have never had a mushy one? The 3 I have done have all been pretty rigid in the action area. Degrease & rough up & under cut all areas to be bedded that plastic is slippery clap
I used black steel bed from brownells.
Good luck.

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've bedded a few Ramlines. I got a tip on this board, I can't remember from who but it seems to be a good one.

Seems he had to repair a plastic canoe or kayak and the manufacturer told him to lightly and quickly pass a blow torch over the surface to be bonded. You don't want to melt anything but apparently it changes the molecular structure so the epoxy will bond to it. I tried it on the two Ramlines I did and found the epoxy would stick to the torched surface. I used Devcon Plastic Steel. I used a small cigar lighter torch to get into the nooks.

Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drill a few shallow holes all around where the epoxy is going to help it all bond.

Not sure what you mean about the back tang area but best to leave a small gap behind the tang rather than have a tight inlet there. Action needs to be able to very slightly slide back under recoil without binding.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote