THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How dangerous are Sakos when they blow up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, Mausers are reputed to protect the shooter fairly well when they blow up, but pre-64 model 70's are supposed to be like kissing hand grenades.

What do Sakos do when they blow? Are they in the safer category, or are they in the bomb category?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know that any modern bolt action actually "blows up" (as in the lugs shear, or receiver ring ruptures), although that's possible under very extreme circumstances. Rather, the brass fails in some manner, allowing extremely hot and high-pressure gas to escape somewhere other than the muzzle.

The only experience I've had with a Sako (L 61R)was with a complete head seperation (my fault for recycling salvaged brass of unknown history). There was no apparent escape of gas or brass particals. In fact, the shooter (my son) was unaware that there had been any kind of malfunction. The only damage to the gun was that the extractor was dislodged, but was intact and still inside the action, as was the extractor spring. They were undamaged and easily reinstalled.

Although I own and shoot more than a dozen Sakos, this is (gratefully) the only experience I have with a case failure.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd think ANY gun pushed to the point of explosion would be detrimental to ones health and well-being. [Roll Eyes]
Why don't ya over-load one take it out and fire it and report back to us? [Eek!]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
When I was younger and a little dumber I tested the strength of a Sako in .243. Since money was a little scarce we were always looking for a bargain. A freind got a good deal on a bunch of 7.62 brass that he turned into .243. Asked him if he reamed them. Said they didn't need it. Good enough. So we go shooting one day. Sighting the guns in (shooting good groups so far) he found that one round would not chamber in his Winchester. But it would in my Sako, so I shot it.Could not open the bolt even with a cheater back at home. Ended up at the gunsmiths house that night. Results.... had to take the barrel off and make an EZ OUT like thing to pull the case out, blew extractor off, and set lugs back slighty but headspace still OK. The only thing that I noticed at the time of firing was a little more smoke and recoil than normal. The Sako is a very strong rifle. Purty too!

<Dan in Wa>
posted
I forgot..... the lesson here is don't shoot someone else's reloads. It's just not worth it. I should have known better, been reloading since 1965 and have never had a problem with my own stuff and I'm probably pushing at least a quarter millon rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well....this one probably should go under the 'dumb stunts' thread, but since you asked... [Embarrassed] ...waaayyy back, when both I and the earth were young, I started reloading. Had (and still have) an L61R Sako in .338. That reloading stuff sure was fun, but nobody said nuthin' about trimming cases, so they got longer..and longer..and longer.. and finally one day I enjoyed a full case head separation. Sounded different, and there was lots of smoke n' stuff, and I felt a few little stings of something on my hands, but that was about all. The bolt opened a bit hard, and a trip to the smithy determined that everything still measured as it should. More than 20 years later, it still shoots .75" groups and tips mooses over with the greatest of ease... [Roll Eyes] ..and I'm both older and wiser.

Posts: 5865 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
The little lug that holds the cocking piece/firing pin into the bolt body shears off and the shooter wears it to the emergency room- not a prety sight.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Otteson says that the cartridge case protrusion is a weak feature in the action, and the bolt interior parts can be turned into a "piston" if gas enters the firing pin hole.

Frank de Haas says he never saw a SAko action that failed in any way, even rifles that had been fired with serious over loads. He likes the workmanship, fit and finish in the rifles, and I agree. My L579 and L61 rifles are very nice, and they perform.

So perhaps the answer is Sakos don't blow up. [Wink]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains, l am a diehard fan of the Sako also and presently own a couple model 75's. My Model 75's do not have the 'safety lock' feature which the new ones have. I have read that a shooter in Australia had a primer rupture which forced gas along the 'safety lock' channel and onto the shooters face however l am not sure whether the story is accurate. In a discussion with JB at Accuflite Arms in PA he mentioned that he had heard the story. His advice was to buy the "pre-lock" model or else have the part replaced. The part in question is the bolt shroud and is easily replaced. I have had the previous Sako models also (Finnbears, Vixen, AI, AII and AlV) and have always been impressed with their dependability and accuracy.

I would buy another Sako 75 in a hearbeat without the bolt lock feature.

Good post.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote