THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Variations In Grain And Color Of Claro Walnut-Lets See Some Photos

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Variations In Grain And Color Of Claro Walnut-Lets See Some Photos
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted
As we all know Claro walnut is viewed as the red headed step child of stock wood. Much of it is soft, doesn't take checkering well, etc. There can be some decent Claro however, that is more dense and stable than the run-of-the-mill stuff (even if no one is going to use it in preference to good grade Europen walnut [Wink] ). I am interested in seeing some pictures of variations in color and grain pattern in Claro.

I am also interested in knowing how much the strength can be increased by laminating, and how much of an increase in weight would be likely because of the lamination process. Additionally, how does the lamination process affect the ability of Claro to take checkering? Any information would be appreciated.

I will start the thread off with a picture of some Claro blanks. Yes, I realize that the layout of the grain is not great in some of these, but I am interested from a color and figure standpoint. How about it guys, any other Claro color and figure variations to show us?

Thanks,
Jim

-

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, here are a few from Paul Dressels web site.

-

-

-

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
great!!

i just drooled all over my keyboard

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I don't have any Claro blanks anymore to compare with these. Claro is arguably the prettiest of all walnut, certainly the most colorful and striking, not a bit subtle. You can get hard, dense Claro and soft Turkish or English. All depends on the individual blank or tree.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm less inclined to agree with the opening generalization than I was a year ago. I've seen greater variance blank to blank in English, Bastogne and Claro than from species to species. We have a lot of both Bastogne and Claro, and most of that is Oregon wood, which is surprisingly dense. If you want issues with checkering, try maple. Here are a few of our better Claro laminates.

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple pic's of a nice 2-piece Claro blank I have. These were the seller pictures to me when I bought the blank. Matching forend below butt. Very small pores. Cut 1996. Figure is interrupted Fiddleback throughout. Was rated AAA.

-

-

Also have a one piece Exhibition grade Claro Blank going to Rod. Will take some pictures tomorrow.

Bob

[ 10-31-2003, 08:27: Message edited by: Shadow ]

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ex-husband claimed that the actual variety of the walnut was basically unimportant beyond cosmetic considerations. His personal preference was Turkish.

He always said the important things were: the grain structure, grain layout, and the thickness of growth rings. These items he said determined the strength of the wood. Between him and my ex-father-in-law, many big bore rifles were made. I always assumed he knew what he was talking about. I saw several 'factory' and/or 'custom' stocks split, but never one were he picked the blank.

Posts: 2404 | Location: A Blue State | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mbogo375,

Here's the other Claro blank pic's I promised. Photo's not too good, but I think you'll get the idea.

-

-

[ 10-31-2003, 18:59: Message edited by: Shadow ]

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. Definitely some nice wood pictured, plus some interesting variations in grain and color.

Chick,
I find the C2 and C4 blanks in your post particularly interesting. I can just imagine a nice classic stock done with those blanks [Smile] .

Rod,
Does the laminating process affect the "workability" (for shaping and checkering) of the Claro positively, negatively, or is it still about the same as before?

Thanks,
Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use Titebond II precisely because it machines and checkers without difficulty. The glue lines are almost invisible and probably would be if it weren't for the grain interruptions and varying degrees of color shift from one laminate to another.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some good claro, albiet much of it is not great...

I would buy the top piece of wood from Mbogo if it is for sale...I happen to like dark Red wood of any kind!!

If it is dry and properly cured I don't mind it at all...I have a beatiful full fiddle dark red piece of claro on my 6x45 and it took 22 LPI without a problem..It was a very hard piece of wood...

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote