Find
Notify
Tools

Is it the same 300 H&H and 300 magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello

Is the 300 H&H cartridge the same as a 300 Magnum?
I had trouble extracting the 300 Magnum from a remington 721 in a 300 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does the fired case look like in comparison to an unfired case out of the same packet of ammo?
If it looks completely different, then it's not a 300H+H cartridge!
There are numerous '300magnums', and they are NOT interchangeable from rifle to rifle.
Only use ammunition that matches what is stamped on the barrel ie, 300WinMag, 300WBYMAG, 300H+H or 300RUM etc.
If you have fired a 300WinMag cartridge in your 300H+H chamber, 1: It's dangerous because the case is not fully supported and may rupture, causing a catastrophic failure of the rifle, 2: It can cause gas cutting inside the chamber where the shortfall of the brass doesn't cover the chamber and can ruin the lead of bore.

Make sure you have identified ANY cartridge and that it is the same as what's stamped on the barrel BEFORE firing it in your gun. Even if the bolt closes on it doesn't mean that it's 'right'!
I saw a guy run about 20 25-06 shells through a 30-06 before he realised why he wasn't hitting paper, I bet his throat didn't look the same afterwards!

Take care, and be safe.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The head stamp says R-P which stands for Remington Peters and then it says 300 magnum the case looks exactly like a 300 H&H

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Do you have the R-P box the shells game from? If so, what does the box say? You could also call Remington ammunition if you have the lot # for the ammo.

It sounds to me like you have some loose shells of unknown origin - not a good thing. Go buy a box of .300H&H, compare the rounds, shoot a known 300H&H and see if it extracts OK.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the the 300 H&H was the first 300 Magnum and the first ammo made for it by RP was so marked - 300 Magnum. I have had some in the past that were so marked - no longer have them. Someone will come along to shed more light on the subject.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
The 300 magnums you fired, were they factory or reloads? Reloads of unknown origin are only good for one thing, take apart for components and discard the unknown powder. A reload may have been loaded hotter than you rifle can handle. Even though chambered the same each rifle is an entity onto itself. What's good in one can be dangerously hot in another. Shoot your own reloads or factory loads to be safe.
popcorn

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reloads were my reloads I have two Remington 721's in 300 H&H.
The reloads worked fine in one rifle but I had trouble extracting them in the other rifle.
One was stuck in the chamber I had to force it out with a cleaning rod, If the loads were to hot you would think that the primer would start backing out, but it looked fine.
However the factory loads worked fine.
Does' this mean I should try a different manufacture for the brass?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluemule1:
The reloads worked fine in one rifle but I had trouble extracting them in the other rifle.
One was stuck in the chamber I had to force it out with a cleaning rod, If the loads were to hot you would think that the primer would start backing out, but it looked fine.

No offense to your rifles, but is exactly why I didn't keep my 721 in .300 H&H, or the 270, very long back in the late '50's. Extractor is really small, I didn't like knocking factories out, on occasion, with a cleaning rod.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just because your reloads worked in one rifle dose NOT mean they will work in any other rifle, even if they are the same caliber!!! Each rifle is different, even if they have consecutive serial numbers! This is due to the normal anomolies introduced in the manufacturing process that is why we are told to start low and work up!! It is far more likely you need to change your load not your brass. Have a great day.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluemule1:
The reloads were my reloads I have two Remington 721's in 300 H&H.The reloads worked fine in one rifle but I had trouble extracting them in the other rifle.

Your reloads were for another rifle not this one. You need to start from scratch with reloads for this rifle and work up. Remember what I posted in my first reply, what's fine in one can be dangerously hot in another. Work your loads up for that specific rifle, which may not function properly in your other rifles. Remember, "each rifle is an entity onto itself."

popcorn

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote